The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Western winter boot to keep feet warm and safe in a stirrup? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/western-winter-boot-keep-feet-warm-140612/)

beau159 10-15-2012 05:46 PM

Western winter boot to keep feet warm and safe in a stirrup?

Is there such a thing?

I have a horrible time keeping my feet warm when riding during the winter months. Anything below 40 degrees and my feet get cold quick.

I do also use the dispoable foot warmers, but even those don't do the trick in a good wind.

I've always been on the look out for winter boots that are narrow and with some sort of a slippery heel, so that they'd be safe in a western stirrup. I haven't really found anything.

SorrelHorse 10-15-2012 05:47 PM

Oh dear, subbing. Forget the holy grail. This is the real unacquireable item. o.o

Live2Ride15 10-15-2012 06:19 PM

I have yet to find a cowboy boot like that but i have found these they seem to be good
Cashel Western Cozy Toes - Horse.com

BornToRun 10-15-2012 06:21 PM

I have a pair of horsetech tall boots. They're pretty nice, and mine don't have any laces.

Thunder Bay Feeds

BossHoss 10-15-2012 06:23 PM

I am curious as to what socks (and how many layers of them) that you may have tried. I don't rely on my boots for warmth as much as I rely on my socks.

Remember those old battery powered socks with the battery packs at the top? lol I wonder if those would light your feet up in the winter...

Granted, that doesn't really help your slippery heel problem! :S

Saddlebag 10-15-2012 06:45 PM

Posting helps keep the feet warm. Years ago we wore wool felt boots made from boiled wool. They were great for riding in altho an overshoe had to be worn in wet conditions. They let foot sweat dry so the feet are warmer. I tried a few years ago to get another pair but they seem to have gone by way of the Doh Doh bird. I think their origins were Swiss. They were very popular with those working on the railroad gangs in extremely cold weather.

COWCHICK77 10-15-2012 06:50 PM

When it gets real cold I wear Schnee Snow Paks. I have poor circulation and even in the summer time my feet will be ice cold(ask my husband at bedtime LOL!) Any how they are the only boots I have found to keep my feet warm in the cold. Unfortunately they have many drawbacks, they are heavy, have a vibram lug sole and oversized. You will dang sure get a workout if you have to use a lot of leg while riding.
You can buy oversized/overshoe stirrups for riding in winter boots but my stirrups are huge anyhow so I don't worry too much about and I don't shove them all the way in.

I have also tried a roomier regular boot with a couple pairs of wool socks and those pocket warmers stuffed in them, also making sure the boot isn't too tight. (If you cram too many socks into a boot without a little room you mind as well not even bother.) I do ok with that down to 20*F...below that I have to wear my Paks.

If I could find something better for the cold, I would dang sure buy them!

Oh I forgot to ad, Whites makes a Snow Pak for women that is narrower and somewhat made for riding. Instead of the big huge round toe they narrowed it up quite a bit and has a cute fur top. But if I remember right, it still had a rubber lug sole.
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 10-15-2012 07:05 PM

Some people like the Muck boots that are made for riding. I get along well with my Sorel's. They fit my winter stirrups.

If you are going to wear packs (boots with liners), I really recommend getting wider stirrups for the winter. Many of my friends, who are out all day horseback, have winter stirrups with wool lined tapaderos attached. Not gorgeous, but neither is frostbite, or even a miserable look on the face from cold, cold toes.

I used battery operated socks for short rides a few years ago. They worked okay for a short time.