The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   question about helmets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/question-about-helmets-140619/)

luv2ride 10-15-2012 06:22 PM

question about helmets

I'm looking into buying a helmet. All I do is trail ride. Since the stores in my area don't carry them I was looking online. Any suggestions for a good helmet for trail riding? Also how do you figure out the sizing. not sure of my hat size. don't want to spend the money to get it and it is too big or small.
thanks for your imput.

tim62988 10-15-2012 07:44 PM

I have the:
Ovation Deluxe Schooler helmet. and I really like it fits my head shape well, light, nicely ventelated.

Personally I would say even if you have to drive a bit find a store that carries a few different brands. I tried on some troxels and they seemed too round (basketball head) the ovation and the tipperary sportage both seemed to be more oval (fit my head much better) the only thing I didn't like about the Tipperary Sportage was the piece that comes down behind the head, saleslady said some love it some hate it. just didn't fit the contour of my head at all.

Speed Racer 10-16-2012 07:30 AM

It's easy enough to measure your head with a measuring tape. All the helmets for sale have a sizing chart based on the circumference of your head, so there's no reason to guess.

Helmets fit differently depending on their shape, so you might take a large in one style, while you'd take a medium in another.

ElaineLighten 10-16-2012 08:00 AM

It's definitely worth going a bit of a distance to a store to have one fitted for you.
Then maybe you could get it online for cheaper? ;) I worry about buying helmets online though, you don't know if they're roughly handled by the postman!

QOS 10-17-2012 02:12 PM

I wear the Tipperary Sportage. It is the only one I have ever worn so I can't speak for the other brands. Mine is a medium and fits me well and is comfortable.

Lunarflowermaiden 10-18-2012 06:25 AM

In my experience. Troxels will fit round heads well, but if you do not have a super round head, it will not fit.

Since I don't have a round head, I have instead gone with Tipperaries, or Ovation Schoolers (my current helmet is an Ovation Deluxe Schooler).

upnover 10-18-2012 07:59 PM

I have a tipperary sportage for schooling and I love it. It's supposed to be one of the few helmets that protects the base of your brain stem or something.... but it's surprisly lightweight, feels very sturdy (sturdier then a lot of the cheaper troxels, IRHs, etc) and when the wind blows I can actually feel it go through my helmet. Plus its only like $60.