The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help needed asap (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-needed-asap-140623/)

Magiclovesme 10-15-2012 08:46 PM

help needed asap

my mare spirit is a 7 year old quarter horse. okay so I bored her at a friend farm along with my 20 year old gelding. I was away and did not get to see her for a month. the farm owner told me she was losing weight but I told her to wait until I got home to call a vet. I got home yesterday and saw her and she has lost 2 to 300 pounds in the last month. I would say I'm scale of 1 to 10 she is between 2 and 3. what could be causing this what should I do when I call the vet what test should be done

BornToRun 10-15-2012 08:49 PM

It could be her teeth or internal issues. You're vet would be the better judge and needs to be called out immediately if she's lost that much weight.

themacpack 10-15-2012 08:49 PM

There are numerous things that *could* be causing her weight loss. Let the vet evaluate the mare and advise you as to the appropriate tests/treatments - I certainly hope your delay hasn't done irreversible damage.

Magiclovesme 10-16-2012 09:08 AM

Thanks. It sucks because i can't call her out untill friday.

wyominggrandma 10-16-2012 10:36 AM

Ummm, hope your mare isn't dead by then. This is something that a vet needs to see immediately, not another week.

Sorton 10-16-2012 08:07 PM

Try to hang in there!

Obviously you arranged for a vet visit as soon as you saw the gravity of the situation. Worrying about whether the delay will harm her is pointless if there is nothing you can do about it.

So, presumably the horse was in good shape when you left a month prior. That would rule out some kind of long term, systemic problem. If she's lost, what a tenth or more? of her weight, then she's been ill for a significant portion of the time you were gone. That also rules out a very sudden, short lived illness. So look at what could have changed in her care or environment during this last month. Did you board her at this place before you left, or just while you were gone? If she's been there a while, are there any new horses being boarded there which could have brought something (parasite or illness) with them? Is the person caring for you horse someone you trust to not neglect her when they know you are gone?

You probably won't diagnose her problem by considering these things, but you can help narrow down the possibilities for the vet when he or she gets there if you've spent some time thinking them over. It's something to do while you wait, anyhow. I will hold a warm thought for you that everything turns out ok.

themacpack 10-20-2012 07:00 PM

Well, Friday has come and gone - any updates on your mare and what the vet had to say, OP?