The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What type of western cinch to use in hot summer days? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-type-western-cinch-use-hot-140629/)

joseeandjade11 10-15-2012 08:12 PM

What type of western cinch to use in hot summer days?

Hello,

I was just wondering a random question here
In the winter i always use my western fleece cinches but in the summer i use a rayon straight cinch, however i would like to know what i else i could use other than my fleece cinch in the summer hot days

Hope to see some opinions, ideas or what type of western cinch do you use?

boots 10-16-2012 07:48 AM

Wool or mohair. But, then, I use those year round.

flyinghighleo 10-16-2012 09:52 PM

all year around i use a professional choice girth.. the type of material is not coming to my mind , but if you really want me to look in to it inbox me :) mine has dozens of small holes to help everything nice and breath !

bsms 10-16-2012 10:01 PM

I use mohair all year round with my gelding. Being south of Tucson Arizona, even our winters are kind of warm. But I haven't seen a problem when using mohair in the summer. We only have one western saddle, so I can't boast of a large sample size.

joseeandjade11 10-17-2012 12:20 PM

Flyinghighleo: Could you be talking about the smx pro choice which is made of like a waffle neoprene material?

Thank you all for your replies and advice when summer will come i will check for a new cinch in one of the kinds you guys mentioned, thank you!

SaddleOnline 10-17-2012 04:48 PM

I like the cotton or mohair girths as they breath well, but neoprene is nice too because you can just rinse off all the sweat after ;)

Saddlebag 10-17-2012 07:14 PM

Mohair multistrand, year round. Stay away from neoprene as it can break down the skin.

equiniphile 10-17-2012 08:03 PM

Mohair all year round.
Posted via Mobile Device

joseeandjade11 11-12-2012 12:58 AM

Do Mohair cinches stretch after a few uses? My mare wears a 32 fleece cinch right now and she's a bit chubby i would say and this summer she'll be back in shape , i want to buy a mohair cinch but not sure if I should get a 30'' or 32'' ? This summer i was using a 28'' rayon cinch I had bought from pleasant ridge and it stretched out but she needs bigger now since she filled out (she's only 5 1/2 yrs old) Please help me choose the right size :) Thank you

boots 11-12-2012 07:18 AM

I haven't had my cinches (wool and mohair) stretch significantly. I've just gotten the size I needed and haven't had to replace due to stretching.