The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you buy a horse that rears? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-you-buy-horse-rears-140642/)

LinkIsAGenius 10-16-2012 11:13 AM

Would you buy a horse that rears?

I have a horse, that will soon be sold, and she rears at bikes. She was sold as a novice horse and when I saw her she was fine, I rode out with and experience horse person to start off with and she was fine, we went on the main road and she didn't do anything. I started trying to ride her with someone walking beside me but the first time she tried it she saw a motorbike (it wasn't even close) and she stopped, took a step forward and then started backing up. In the end she reared up and then sat on a car, so I took her out again a few days later and there is a bmx track that I need to ride past to get out into the village, I saw one of my friends so I shouted to him and he came out of the area to talk to me but as soon as he got out of the gate she started rearing up again so he went back in and I took her home.
I really need to sell her because I'm not a confident rider at all so that's why I asked for a novice horse. So would you buy a horse you knew did this?
Thanks in advance :)

Speed Racer 10-16-2012 11:18 AM

Nope, I'd never knowingly buy a rearer.

A professional trainer who might like a challenge may be willing to take her on, but you may have to give her away. Not many people are going to want to pay good money for a horse that rears.

waresbear 10-16-2012 11:23 AM

While I am not a fan of a horse that rears, I saw a girl killed by a rearing horse when I was a youth, your horse is rearing out of fear. She just needs some confident retraining & desensitization. If I bought her, she would be used to motorcycles in no time flat. Make sure when you sell her, to tell the new owner she freaks out over motorcycles.

Speed Racer 10-16-2012 11:24 AM

Agree that it's a fear response wares, but one that I find extremely dangerous. I'd rather a horse bolt out of fear than rear.

eclipseranch 10-16-2012 11:28 AM

I did buy horse that reared. He was young and allowed to "show" his temper in that manner by his previous owner. It took a little work but he never, ever rears any longer. I have owned him for 3 1/2 years. I will say though I immediately put him in training with a professional trainer...no way would I, myself try to fix a complicated issue like that.

LinkIsAGenius 10-16-2012 11:28 AM

I've told my mum that we need to tell the new owner that she's not good around motorbike or normal bikes but just asked 'Why should we? We weren't told' so I told her that if we sell her a novice horse (That's what she wants to do) then that person might not know what to do and if they pull back on the reins she could kill them and my mum said 'That's not my problem' and my grandad agrees.

LinkIsAGenius 10-16-2012 11:30 AM

I'd much rather she just bolt too but she does that after she rears so yeah.. I don't know why I trusted those people

wetrain17 10-16-2012 11:32 AM

I would never buy a horse that rears. I just don't want to deal with it. There was a time in my younger days that I may have considered it, but not anymore. If I got hurt, I would not want to pay those medical bills.

Im sure there are people out there who would welcome the challenge of desensitizing your horse. I would be open and honest in her behavior. Rearing is very dangerous and is not something to hide when trying to sell her.

eclipseranch 10-16-2012 11:34 AM

previous owner had not filled me in either, but it was clear pretty darn quick.
I wasn't angry but, then again, no one got hurt either. IMO if I knew a specific issue I would let the buyer know..it seems like the right thing to do to me

beau159 10-16-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinkIsAGenius (Post 1720694)
I've told my mum that we need to tell the new owner that she's not good around motorbike or normal bikes but just asked 'Why should we? We weren't told' so I told her that if we sell her a novice horse (That's what she wants to do) then that person might not know what to do and if they pull back on the reins she could kill them and my mum said 'That's not my problem' and my grandad agrees.

I would never buy a horse that rears. It's too dangerous, and too hard of a habit to break. That's not to say someone else wouldn't take on the challenge, if they are experienced in dealing with the problem.

Wow. I have zero respect for your mother and granddad. That's horrible. Dishonest sellers like that are what get people who don't know any better severely injured or killed. I hope your mom and granddad are prepared for a lawsuit.

I sure hope you don't have the same mindset.

I'm sorry you were not told of this horse's problems, but that doensn't mean someone else should pay the price. This is one of the things that is wrong with the world today. People just don't care about others anymore, and only care about making a dollar for themselves. Horrible.