The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hind end exercises (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hind-end-exercises-140712/)

iluvmyhorse 10-16-2012 08:55 PM

Hind end exercises

Do you know any exercises to strengthen his hind end?

ThePaintGirl 10-16-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvmyhorse (Post 1721386)
Do you know any exercises to strengthen his hind end?

Walking up steep hills works wonders! I do this with my guy and man his butt has gotten really nice. When they can walk comfortably start to trot up them.

If your horse is broke you can train him/her to pull a heavy tire behind them. I haven't done it but Ive heard it works great.

Ive also heard that trotting, and trotting over poles works the hindquarters.

Ive always been a fan of backing up to work the hindquarters also.

TXgrey 10-16-2012 10:01 PM

I have put up a small jump on one side of my round pen, poles on the other, and a pile of dirt on the remaining side (so three "sides" plus the gate) and just sent them around the pen. The combination of poles, the jump and the dirt pile does wonders for their muscles.

Jumping repeatedly can be straining, so usually I will turn her before the jump on each side every once in a while so she goes over the hill/poles twice or three times as much as the jump.

Start slow and work your way up.

I do this in a 60 foot round pen, and had a trainer build/grade my fake hill so it's safe and easier on the joints. I still have the blueprint somewhere if you are interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThePaintGirl 10-16-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgrey (Post 1721471)
I have put up a small jump on one side of my round pen, poles on the other, and a pile of dirt on the remaining side (so three "sides" plus the gate) and just sent them around the pen. The combination of poles, the jump and the dirt pile does wonders for their muscles.

Jumping repeatedly can be straining, so usually I will turn her before the jump on each side every once in a while so she goes over the hill/poles twice or three times as much as the jump.

I do this in a 60 foot round pen, and had a trainer build/grade my fake hill so it's safe and easier on the joints. I still have the blueprint somewhere if you are interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is an insanely AWESOME idea!

TXgrey 10-16-2012 10:11 PM

I love it!! Completely changed my horses muscle tone, range of motion, flexibility...everything! If you only have one roundpen, it can be tough though.

I've always wanted to have a removable dirt hill but can never invent anything:)
Posted via Mobile Device

ThePaintGirl 10-16-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgrey (Post 1721483)
I love it!! Completely changed my horses muscle tone, range of motion, flexibility...everything! If you only have one roundpen, it can be tough though.

I've always wanted to have a removable dirt hill but can never invent anything:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I can see how it could be tough (its the only thing preventing me from doing it myself) I feel like asking my inventing master father if its possible for a movable dirt hill :wink:

TXgrey 10-16-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePaintGirl (Post 1721487)
I can see how it could be tough (its the only thing preventing me from doing it myself) I feel like asking my inventing master father if its possible for a movable dirt hill :wink:

Let me know if you invent anything!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ThePaintGirl 10-16-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgrey (Post 1721491)
Let me know if you invent anything!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Will do! Now im excited, I feel like an evil character trying to rule the world all of a sudden :twisted: Muahahahaha!!! :lol:

smguidotti 10-16-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgrey (Post 1721471)

Posted via Mobile Device

Are you lounging her? Or just letting her move around on her own? I have personally never been a big fan of [uncontrolled] round penning in general.

I think this is a great idea if you are helping your horse carry itself properly, however, letting them go around on their own could reinforce carrying themselves improperly, i.e. hollowing out their back, dropping their shoulder, etc.

Also, even if your start your horse out with what YOU think is easy may be stressing him/her out . . . I would be careful...

TXgrey 10-16-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smguidotti (Post 1721518)
Are you lounging her? Or just letting her move around on her own? I have personally never been a big fan of [uncontrolled] round penning in general.

I think this is a great idea if you are helping your horse carry itself properly, however, letting them go around on their own could reinforce carrying themselves improperly, i.e. hollowing out their back, dropping their shoulder, etc.

Also, even if your start your horse out with what YOU think is easy may be stressing him/her out . . . I would be careful...

I lunge her around, and she is pretty good about carrying herself well. Obviously, I don't do this daily or even weekly sometimes.

I've done this with my horses for about 2 years now and they have all been given amazing checks from their vets and chiros. Vets say it actually probably helps them a whole lot. I never ever do this over 30 minutes or so, and they get breaks in between. I know how far they can be pushed, and I stay away from that level.

It works, but I agree, you do need to be careful and use your brain when working horses like this. My horses also know certain cues that will send them around the obstacles rather than over them, so we sometimes lunge for 10 minutes and get maybe 2 dirt hills in. Sometimes I go heavy on the poles and not the jumps... I try to mix things up for them.
Posted via Mobile Device