The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Eventing Mare Conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/eventing-mare-conformation-140741/)

LeafOnTheWind 10-17-2012 12:45 AM

Eventing Mare Conformation

5 Attachment(s)
Suri is a 16.1hh 8yr old Clydesdale/Thoroughbred/Quarter horse cross. We are hoping to start eventing in the spring of 2013. I know her conformation isn't great, she is actually out of a PMU mare. I would however like to know about her conformation so tell me it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly! :D Oh and in the first picture she looks a bit downhill due to the footing so I will upload a few different ones so she gets a fair judging. :) Thanks to anybody that takes the time to help me out!

lilruffian 10-19-2012 04:24 PM

Shes got a good, solid shoulder on her
Plenty of depth through the girth
She appears to be over at the knee
Back is borderline long but not bad
Can't see anything terrible off about her hindend
There is something off about her hind legs, though just from those photos it's hard to determine whether she is just slightly sickle-hocked or posty.
I'm no expert on eventing, but she appears to be a nice big, solid horse with a few small faults

LeafOnTheWind 10-19-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1724909)
Shes got a good, solid shoulder on her
Plenty of depth through the girth
She appears to be over at the knee
Back is borderline long but not bad
Can't see anything terrible off about her hindend
There is something off about her hind legs, though just from those photos it's hard to determine whether she is just slightly sickle-hocked or posty.
I'm no expert on eventing, but she appears to be a nice big, solid horse with a few small faults

Thanks for the critique! I was wondering if her back was a bit long since she wears an 84" :) Good to know there is nothing terribly wrong with her (her parents were both something of train-wrecks!)

blue eyed pony 10-19-2012 05:48 PM

Better built than my eventer and when Monty was young he was evented by a professional. I like her. She looks sweet. Sure she has a few faults but if she's sound, goes well, does what you want her to do and is happy, so what?

Lexiie 10-19-2012 06:00 PM

I'm no expert, but she looks awesome. So nicely put together. She's solid looking.

LeafOnTheWind 10-19-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1724996)
Better built than my eventer and when Monty was young he was evented by a professional. I like her. She looks sweet. Sure she has a few faults but if she's sound, goes well, does what you want her to do and is happy, so what?

Thanks! She is turning into a really sweet mare :) Funny you say sound in reference to this mare. She had to be rehabbed 2yrs due to blown sesamoid ligaments in her front hooves. She is super sound now though (knocks on wood) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1725011)
I'm no expert, but she looks awesome. So nicely put together. She's solid looking.

Oh thanks! :) We always joke that if she can't make it over a fence cross country she can just plow on through! ;-)

blue eyed pony 10-19-2012 07:50 PM

ohhh sesamoid ouch. That's never a good thing! Any idea how/why she did it?

LeafOnTheWind 10-19-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1725101)
ohhh sesamoid ouch. That's never a good thing! Any idea how/why she did it?

We're not exactly sure how/why it happened as we didn't have her at the time (the old owners weren't exactly truthful either). I'm just happy she is sound now :) Although I tell you, this mare is a health trainwreck! She was actually diagnosed with a cancerous sarcoid a little over a year ago. Luckily, it will not spread, but we are currently trying some different methods to keep the size down. She sure likes to keep us busy :D

Foxhunter 10-20-2012 02:10 PM

I like her. She has a good sensible head and nice eye. Her neck is a good length but she has inherited some of the Clydesdale's shoulder in that it is little straight and shallow.
Over at the knee which might lead to problems as they can get tendon problems with that fault but not always.
Good girth depth allowing for plenty of heart/lung room.
A tad long in the back but allowable as she is a she.
Lovely backside with a great second thigh - this usually means good jumping ability.

If she turned up here I would have her out following Foxhounds in no time at all!

LeafOnTheWind 10-20-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 1725745)
I like her. She has a good sensible head and nice eye. Her neck is a good length but she has inherited some of the Clydesdale's shoulder in that it is little straight and shallow.
Over at the knee which might lead to problems as they can get tendon problems with that fault but not always.
Good girth depth allowing for plenty of heart/lung room.
A tad long in the back but allowable as she is a she.
Lovely backside with a great second thigh - this usually means good jumping ability.

If she turned up here I would have her out following Foxhounds in no time at all!

Thanks for the critique! :) She is quite the jumper! I will know where to look if she turns up missing ;-)