The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Winter riding, what do you do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/winter-riding-what-do-you-do-140763/)

QHDragon 10-17-2012 08:08 AM

Winter riding, what do you do?

For most of my riding career I have had access to an indoor during the winter. This winter I likely will not. What does everybody do during the winter months to be able to safely keep riding?

poppy1356 10-17-2012 08:31 AM

Freeze my butt off and look like a marshmallow mixed with a bit of eskimo.

But seriously I couldn't ride my horse last winter and before that I always had an indoor so I guess just wait and see what this winter brings me.

Joe4d 10-17-2012 08:33 AM

Move south.

DancingArabian 10-17-2012 08:34 AM

Dress up warmly, warm up and cool down for longer periods, do more trail upkeep and ride in the outdoor arena -- all things I do.

I also will lots of in hand, liberty and groundwork exercises if I don't want to try riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 10-17-2012 08:52 AM

If I didn't have an insulated indoor my gang would get winter vacation :lol:
I very rarely ride outside when it's snowy, icy or below 40 degrees (I'm a wimp about the cold) but when I do I layer under armour, jeans & hoodie, carhartt coveralls and battery socks.

Joidigm 10-17-2012 10:17 AM

Shoooot. As long as the arena is dry, I am out there! No matter how cold. :/ Although I do have a penchant for bareback riding as I really dont want my butt against cold leather. The horse usually keeps me warm until my leg muscles warm up. Then we're cozy!

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 10-17-2012 11:09 AM

The group of people I ride with ride all winter long and it gets cold up here in Northern Ontario Canada. What we do is we dress in layers (lots of layers lol) and ride in the warmest part of the day, usually around 1 pm. Thick wool hats and hand and foot warmers are worth their weight in gold. We usually ride for about 2 or 2 1/2 hours. We are trail riders (among other things) and none of us use an indoor arena (some of us have never been in one). A lot of us ride bareback or with bareback pads but although it is slightly warmer those people make a lot more snow angels than the rest iof us. Our horses are not clipped and we usually spend the last half hour walking our horses back to the barn to cool them out. If my horse is still a little damp or sweaty I put a fleece cooler on him until he is completely dry. I trailer my horses to my friends house 2 times a week (usually Saturday and Sunday) to do this. She has about 50 miles of amazing winter trails. It is warmer on the forest trails and much less wind. I am not a winter person and I truely hate the cold but I wouldnt give up my winter rides. There is just something about the intense blue sky , sparkling white snow and a silent gallop though a beautiful evergreen forest that calls to me lol.

Regula 10-17-2012 11:25 AM

I board at a place with an arena in winter and at another place without one in summer to keep the cost down... Tried winter riding, but with the amounts of snow here I just can't ride consistently, and if I let him sit all winter I'll have a bronc in spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Critter sitter 10-17-2012 11:54 AM

Ride when it is safe... IE not to icey or muddy but this winter I get to be spoiled and have a indoor :P

QHDragon 10-17-2012 01:51 PM

Is there anything that can help make an arena safer and more useable in the winter?
Posted via Mobile Device