The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   looking for a breed that can do jumping and long trail rides/endurance (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/looking-breed-can-do-jumping-long-140764/)

sjkubista 10-17-2012 08:35 AM

looking for a breed that can do jumping and long trail rides/endurance

I was thinking about getting an OTTB for jumping but I also want to do long trail rides or maybe even endurance riding. My concern about an OTTB is dont thoroughbreds have weaker legs compared to other breeds ( i could be completely wrong with this thought)? I do have a soft spot for OTTBs but I also like Saddlebreds and other gaited horses, which do you think would be a good horse for both of these sports and why?
Another thing is I like is a taller horse atleast 15.2hh, perferrably taller.

DancingArabian 10-17-2012 08:50 AM

How competitive do you want to be in jumping and endurance?
Posted via Mobile Device

sjkubista 10-17-2012 08:54 AM

I would like to get semi competative in jumping, Im not really sure about the endurance riding, but I will be going on trail rides.

DancingArabian 10-17-2012 09:07 AM

A TB should be fine since you already like those. They don't have weaker legs per se but many do come off the track and have leg problems or develop them due to the strain of racing. If you go the OTTB route just make sure it's thoroughly vetted. An Arab or Arab cross since you like the bigger fellas is another to consider.

Gaited horses can jump but its not something you really see at the shows. It's not a standard activity for most of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 10-17-2012 09:14 AM

If you are taking an OTTB then its would be wise to get a vet do X rays and ultra sound its legs - worth the cost as sometimes they've had too much wear & tear at a young age to stand up to a lot
Otherwise they are as strong as any other horse. Our last OTTB in the UK raced on the flat and over fences, point to pointed for a while, hunted, showjumped, cross countried and rode out on tarmac roads on a daily basis for fitness exercise several hours a day - trotting at a good pace for a lot of that. He never had a days lameness and was in his teens when we loaned him out when we moved here - and he's still going strong.

nikelodeon79 10-17-2012 09:20 AM

How about an Anglo Arab (TB x Arab)?

MidsummerFable 10-17-2012 09:35 AM

Morgan :)

deserthorsewoman 10-17-2012 09:36 AM

I second the Anglo. Another one to consider is a Standardbred. They definitely can go long distance, come in all sizes, all I've met can jump houses and most of them are gaited. Plus they can be had for " an apple and an egg". They do need retraining, tho, and you'd have to take a good look at soundness. Big plus is they are real puppydogs to have around.

WSArabians 10-17-2012 09:50 AM

I second the Arabian or Anglo-Arabian.

blue eyed pony 10-17-2012 10:19 AM

Anglo's are amazing. I have one, he's only a shortybum (15.1 1/2) but he's the best horse. Shocking hindquarter conformation but he's 17yo and been an eventer all his life, perfectly sound, used to be a competitive jumper at 4' from what I gather from a string of previous owners... I think he's done some stock work, going by his reaction when I tried to muster Mum's old horse (mum's horse wanted no part of it but Monty did well), he's definitely done dressage and lots of showing, a bit of everything really.

They are awesome endurance horses too, mine has THE biggest ground-covering trot and he can go all day and barely break a sweat.

TB's are good too but can have soundness issues. Mine is 2, and unbroke (so unraced, never even prepped or fitted up), and she hasn't had more than 7 sound days in a row since I got her. One issue after another after another - she scraped up her leg, then went over the round pen fence, then got thrush real bad in one hind foot, then did something to a tendon... I haven't had her all that long but it's amazingly frustrating trying to work with her when there's a limit to how much I can do with her due to her constant lameness. But she's a seriously nice horse, and I got her for nothing, so if I can get her sound she'll be worth the money spent in trying.