The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New (Used) Barrel Saddle, Help Accessorizing! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-used-barrel-saddle-help-accessorizing-140772/)

AQHSam 10-17-2012 11:35 AM

New (Used) Barrel Saddle, Help Accessorizing!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

My BO picked up a gently used barrel saddle for me at a recent auction. It fits Sam perfectly! And it is very lightweight. I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase (and the price was great!) I cleaned the saddle yesterday and have some questions.

1. Based on what I read elsewhere on the forum, I used a wirebrush to clean the roughout fender and jockey. The jockey seemed really dry on the one side, so I gave it a good oiling on the smooth underside. Is it possible to overoil the underside and ruin the roughout surface?

2. How do I clean the ostrich surface of the seat? There are stains that I was told is from cooking oil. My biggest concern is darkening the seat surface. I am rather found of the existing color.

But most importantly, help with accessorizing. :lol:

The third picture is the saddle with my existing headstall. Even though the headstall is basketweave, I think it is way too dark.

I am looking at replacing it with this Teskey headstall in Light Oil. My only concern with this headstall is the quick change bit ends. I don't change bits so I'm not concerned with speed. I do want something that is less prone to coming apart. Does anyone have experience with these? Am I worrying about nothing?

This is my second headstall choice.

And my third headstall choice. Now you know why I am posting this. :wink:

I love this breastcollar (also in light oil). I'm trying to match to this AND the saddle.

Opinions/Comments?

DrumRunner 10-17-2012 12:17 PM

That's a really nice looking saddle for an auction saddle! I'm jealous! I always look for stuff like that to fix up and sell..

Girl, the things you can do with that are awesome.. Even if you wanted to get a plain head stall and bling it up.. Where to start!?

All of the conchos on the saddle should be removable because they are screwed in. You can check out Conchos.com IConchos, Guaranteed Lowest prices on our Wholesale Conchos. and there are a TON to pick from that you can add to your saddle. You can also replace the silver pieces where the back cinch should go.. I'd change the rawhide stirrups out to aluminum and it'll add a lot of look to it too, besides the aluminum being better anyway..

I do like the first headstall the best and love the breast collar.. You can REALLY jazz that breast collar up. You can get the same conchos that you are putting on the saddle, drill a few holes in the breast collar and add the conchos to it to make it match your saddle..You could even do this with a plain headstall and make EVERYTHING match..

Then! Once you get all of the stuff you like together you can even add crystals to the conchos and make it blingy..(I'm all about bling ;) )

You can't really oil the underside too much to mess up the rough out, when cleaning the rough out just use a really watered down soap and a brush..I've just heard of cleaning the ostrich seat with a wet cloth then adding a conditioner, it's a skin, it needs moisture just like leather with oiling.

Like I said, there is a TON of stuff you can do to really make your saddle and tack your own.. If you have any questions at all I can probably help. I bling out a good bit of my tack and it's so much cheaper and easier than paying a lot for custom sets.

Here's a link to the site I buy my crystals from.. Great prices, lots of colors, and lots of sizes..
Swarovski crystals wholesale, Rhinestones, Swarovski rhinestones wholesale - Crystals 2 Love

AQHSam 10-17-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks DrumRunner! I just looked at the conchos and fell in love with several. I wasn't sure I could replace the the back cinch silver inserts. I want to go with something like this design. I like stars and love the two-tone look of brass/bronze on antique or brushed silver.

Eek. My decisions just became harder! Thanks for the input.

What type of conditioner would I use on the seat do you think? I am worried about it becoming a) slick b) oily. Maybe just a regular boot conditioner and not a saddle oil?

DrumRunner 10-17-2012 01:28 PM

You're welcome! Love those conchos.. I'd just Google how you could condition ostrich, I'm sure there are many cleaners and conditioners out there. I haven't had any experience with it, I'm more a croc person, but I'm sure it'd be easy to come by.