The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support each other and lose 10 pounds!

13K views 206 replies 23 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 ·
Let's just say my gym time has been non-existent this summer. My first year done with school with a full-time job and two horses doesn't leave much time for the gym! If I don't have something else going on, I'm rushing off to the horses (where I board) immediately after work, and usually there until it's dark outside.

Well now that daylight savings time is approaching, I will have zero riding on weekdays. Which means I no longer have another activity to excuse me from not going to the gym!

For me, when I don't go the gym, I don't eat as healthy. I definately can lose a few pounds and tone back up. And those "few pounds" always seem the hardest and least motivating to lose, because they are so difficult.

So I have made a decision to start back up on November 1st. (Always easy to give yourself a start date.)

Anybody else want to join me, and support each other?

We can simply check in each day or every other day. I know I'm always more motivated when I've got to "report" to someone! My ultimate goal is to have a certain pair of jeans fit loose, like they used to! Jeans don't lie, even though the scale can sometimes (regarding fat vs muscle).

My "start" stats:
Height: Just under 5'6"
Weight: 136 lbs
Goal Weight: 126 lbs

See less See more
#2 ·
Forgot to mention if you have different goals than losing 10 pounds, totally fine too! Everyone is going to have individual goals including gaining and losing weight. Everyone is welcome. :)

#3 ·
Hi Beau...
I'm going to join you and support you on this feat.
Before I had my girls...I did cross training. One day of cardio...next day..weights. I lost quite abit of body fat..but gained weight in muscle...which I didn't care because my clothes were becoming quite loose on me anyways. I was with the ambulance at time and being physically good shape paid off. I didn't get injured as much as others who were not in good shape.

Triplet girls came and any form of excercise went out the window. Too tired to do anything. Now my kids are in school (they're 9 yrs old) I want to and I need to get back in shape (I"m back in the ambulance now)....but I just lack the motivation and the emotional support to do it. I wished my husband was into excercising so I can get some "cheerleader' support but that isn't so.
So...I'm looking forward to being a 'cheerleader' for you and any others who want to accomplish any wieght goals.
Right now...I want to lose whatever to have my jeans feel loose and go down another notch on my belt. No big goals...but goals enough where my tummy looks flat again.

My start 'stats'...
Height: 5'10
Weight: don't know...never weighed myself after the kids were born (hated the scale)
Goal weight: I want my jeans to feel really ...really loose.

PS....I can't really start until Nov 1 anyways....I have written and practical tests to do within the next two weeks.

#4 ·
Awesome! Welcome!

Yea, part of my motivation to get back on track NOW is because when my husband and I decide it is time for kids down the road, I know my time will really be minimal then! Have to take the time to take care of myself now.

#5 ·
You do want to be in good shape when you do have kids. Your body will bounce back alot faster when you're in shape after your children are born.
Mine did somewhat..... I was big as a house when I was carrying my three.
After the girls were born....people were quite surpised that I carried triplets.
So yeah...it pays off to be in good shape either way.

#6 ·
Sign me up!

It will be nice to have other people going through the same thing as me. I am not too worried about the weight loss, I just need to get into shape (I am starting to feel older then what I am). When I tell people how much I weigh no one really believes me ( I guess I carry it well?!?!). I too will be starting on Nov 1st, that gives me time to sign up for my work gym and my apartment gym and pool.

My "start" stats:
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 180ish lbs
Goal Weight: What Ever Makes Me Feel Good About Myself.

#8 ·
Sign me up!

It will be nice to have other people going through the same thing as me. I am not too worried about the weight loss, I just need to get into shape (I am starting to feel older then what I am). When I tell people how much I weigh no one really believes me ( I guess I carry it well?!?!). I too will be starting on Nov 1st, that gives me time to sign up for my work gym and my apartment gym and pool.

My "start" stats:
Weight: 180ish lbs
Goal Weight: What Ever Makes Me Feel Good About Myself.

Welcome!

And happy birthday on Mondy!

I too am not necessarily worried about the number on the scale, but I deinately want to make my jeans fit better and tone up the tummy area!

#7 ·
I'm in! Although mines is more for fitness training as i've applied for the army and need to build that stamina up! so i'll probably share what i've been doing too. Focusing mainly on running at the moment.

Start Stats
Ages : 20
Height: 4'11 and a decimal!
weight: 125lbs
Goal: Beat my personal bests.

Last time i went for a run it was 2 weeks ago (oops!) i done 3.45km in 22:34 mins.
Tomorrows goal will be 4km my estimated time is 27:07 mins.

#10 ·
I'm in! Although mines is more for fitness training as i've applied for the army and need to build that stamina up! so i'll probably share what i've been doing too. Focusing mainly on running at the moment.

Start Stats
Ages : 20
Height: 4'11 and a decimal!
weight: 125lbs
Goal: Beat my personal bests.

Last time i went for a run it was 2 weeks ago (oops!) i done 3.45km in 22:34 mins.
Tomorrows goal will be 4km my estimated time is 27:07 mins.
Welcome!

Awesome on the running!! I myself really enjoy running but I get left knee pain. :-( Usually once it starts hurting, I have to quit running for a couple weeks, or else it will just immediately hurt again. I've never had it checked out so I have no idea what it is, and there seems to be no rhyme or reasons to it. Sometimes I'm great for a few months, and sometimes I can't run for months.

At least I'm still able to do other things (elliptical, stair stepper, etc) even if I can't run. Biking does the same thing to my knee, so I don't do a whole lot of biking.

#9 ·
My "start" stats:
Weight: 185
Goal Weight: Around 130 ish

I had lost 40 lbs before on weightwatchers, but then I gained it all back and started eating not healthy again.

It's funny that I saw this today, because I had decided to start loosing weight again this morning!! haha

#11 ·
My "start" stats:
Weight: 185
Goal Weight: Around 130 ish

I had lost 40 lbs before on weightwatchers, but then I gained it all back and started eating not healthy again.

It's funny that I saw this today, because I had decided to start loosing weight again this morning!! haha
Awesome! We've got a great age variety going here!

And it goes to show that you can "fall off the train" and end up back where you started, but it is never too late to get back on!

It's all about a "lifestyle change" and a "lifestyle committment". I much prefer those words and that way of thinking, than "diet".

#15 ·
Ohh I'm joining too! :)
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 149
Goal: 137

By my 21st birthday :) which is in 6 weeks. I heard that it was healthy to lose up to 2 pounds a week... And I am pretty comfortable at that weight (as long as Im fit)
Welcome!

1 to 2 pounds per week is the healthiest, long-term method to losing weight healthy and keeping it off. If you lose too quickly, it's usually because you cut your calories too much and your body will "notice" you are losing weight. From a primative survival standpoint, your body doesn't want to lose weight! It wants to keep extra around "just in case" you are ever in a starving situation.

But if you slowly, and carefully, lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, you are more likely to keep it off because you haven't lost it rapidly.

And keep in mind that if you build/gain any muscle during weight loss, it might not seem like you lost any weight at all on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you lose 1 pound of fat, you may very well gain 1 pound a muscle, which would make you feel like you didn't lose any weight at all. This is where how you feel in your clothes and how you look (and actual body measurements) can show the change -- not the scale.

#17 ·
Height: 5'3
weight: 130
goal: 125

I mostly want to just loose fat and gain back my muscle. Riding less, eating more and all that stud yin has detonified me. :P
Welcome!

Yes, when I was in school (just graduated this past May) I was a horrible munchies-eater when studying. Plus you are just sitting around when you are studying.

#18 ·
Okay well yesterday was the official "start" day.

I will admit that I did not go get a gym membership yesterday. However, I did go out to the barn after work and froze my butt off riding Red around a bit instead. Even took him for his very first "after dark" ride, just a quick mile+ down the road and back. The headlights from the cars were a bit scary for him, but he managed.

But today we got snow. Boo. And it's still snowing. It's not horribly cold but I always worry about things being slick. So after work I will promptly go to the gym and get my membership and get a workout in!

I won't lift any weights tonight, just do some good cardio, because I'll be doing a weight lifting class and a step class with a friend tomorrow morning. And I"m sure I'll be sore as heck.

Yesterday I started making myself eat "right" and been doing good so far! It's a horrible place where I work because someone always brings in sweet goodies. I have not eaten a one though! Proud of myself.

How's everyone else doing on day 2?

#19 ·
I'm in

My start 'stats'...
Height: 5'4
Weight: don't know...won't tell
Goal weight: One size smaller jeans

I'm starting tomorrow, November 3rd. DH taught me a diet trick called, "Diet Awareness Week". You do this the week before you start your diet, and you examine what and when you are consuming. I changed from last Fall. Lost weight in the summer, 2011, starting gaining back with stupid caramels in the Fall!! THIS year, caramel rationing, smaller dinner portions, skipping lunch when I'm working in the back yard (horses, chickens, lawn/garden work in the 5 acres) and don't want it.
I had my annual "Salsa Party" last Saturday--party and big bonfire--and I haven't eaten more than 10 caramels INCLUDING during the party--THAT's success. I've been sitting at the same weight/size since I dropped a size earlier this year, and I've plateaud

On with our success.

#26 ·
My start 'stats'...
Height: 5'4
Weight: don't know...won't tell
Goal weight: One size smaller jeans

I'm starting tomorrow, November 3rd. DH taught me a diet trick called, "Diet Awareness Week". You do this the week before you start your diet, and you examine what and when you are consuming. I changed from last Fall. Lost weight in the summer, 2011, starting gaining back with stupid caramels in the Fall!! THIS year, caramel rationing, smaller dinner portions, skipping lunch when I'm working in the back yard (horses, chickens, lawn/garden work in the 5 acres) and don't want it.
I had my annual "Salsa Party" last Saturday--party and big bonfire--and I haven't eaten more than 10 caramels INCLUDING during the party--THAT's success. I've been sitting at the same weight/size since I dropped a size earlier this year, and I've plateaud

On with our success.
Welcome!!

Yes, I always do much better when I record everything that I eat. I like to use My Calorie Counter (online) because you can enter custom entries if you can't find the exact food item you ate in there huge database. It lets you really track exactly what you are eating beyond just calories, including protein, carbs, fiber, sugar, salt, and more.

For me, really keeping my SALT intake low makes a big difference. And it's amazing how once you cut salt out of your diet, how salty things taste when they are loaded with salt!

I am not a personal trainer or nutritionist by any means, but did I read you post correctly Corporal? You are skipping lunch on some days???? You do not want to do that. That is the reason you have plateaued. If you skip a meal, it kills your metabolism and your body tries even harder to hang onto those pounds.

Ask any trainer or nutritionist: The best strategy is to eat small meals every 2 to 3 hours. Once you go longer than that without food, is when it slows your metabolism. Yes it takes a ton of planning to have something to eat ready to go (even during work during the day) but it really, really keeps your metabolism revved up by eating small meals throughout the day.

So please stop skipping lunch! Hungry tummies are no good and just leads to binging on things because you're so hungry and your blood sugar is low.

But success on the caramels!! Some of my biggest downfalls are anything sweet (cookies, cake, brownies, etc) and CHEESE and regular cereal. Yum. While cheese isn't necessarily bad, it does need to be eaten in moderation because it does have fat in it.

Reactions: Corporal
#20 ·
I'm totally not doing well at all!!! Yesterday my work held a big lunch for our department and our construction contract crews.... Can I say FOOD!?!! It doesn't help I am now living on my own and when I get offered free food I get excited. Tonight I'm going to the bar to celebrate my birthday and my cousins and tomorrow I'm off to the rodeo..

Monday my coaches are back and done showing so I will be back at the barn 2-3 times a week and I'm looking at a gym my aunt joined that has a personal trainer on staff for free all day every day until 11pm.

Next week will be better...

Hope everyone else is doing better then me!!

#27 ·
I'm totally not doing well at all!!! Yesterday my work held a big lunch for our department and our construction contract crews.... Can I say FOOD!?!! It doesn't help I am now living on my own and when I get offered free food I get excited. Tonight I'm going to the bar to celebrate my birthday and my cousins and tomorrow I'm off to the rodeo..

Monday my coaches are back and done showing so I will be back at the barn 2-3 times a week and I'm looking at a gym my aunt joined that has a personal trainer on staff for free all day every day until 11pm.

Next week will be better...

Hope everyone else is doing better then me!!
Hey, it's okay! :hug: You are not always going to have a perfect day.

One thing that really helps me, even if I "mess up" for one meal, you can always "start over" for the day, right after! It doesn't have to be a new day to "start over"! It helps get rid of that "Oh, I just over-ate at this meal so I might as well eat some cookies too ... or I might as well not eat healthy the rest of the day". Because you can start over at any moment!

Personal trainers are awesome. I've worked with quite a few of them and it is always wonderful to let someone else plan your workouts for you and plan our meals for you (it makes it easy!). And of course, encourages you to follow the routine because you have to report back to your trainer.

#21 ·
Well.....I haven't started on my excercises yet. I have a big test to do tomorrow (practical and written) for the ambulance. So...after I write this I'm going to hide in the closet (away from kids and husband) to do some studying.
Halloween has been tortorous for me....girls came home with bags of goodies...so I've been studying with making trips to the 'goody bag'. I've also have came down with a headcold...and now my head feels like it's going to explode. UUUGGGHHHHH.....I feel like I'm going through the wringer of some kind. I hope next week will be better
Corporal....it's good to see somebody who's closer to my age. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one 'competeing' with the younger girls on here.
Anyways...hopefully I can start on my excercises soon.
Good luck to all of you......

#28 ·
Well.....I haven't started on my excercises yet. I have a big test to do tomorrow (practical and written) for the ambulance. So...after I write this I'm going to hide in the closet (away from kids and husband) to do some studying.
Halloween has been tortorous for me....girls came home with bags of goodies...so I've been studying with making trips to the 'goody bag'. I've also have came down with a headcold...and now my head feels like it's going to explode. UUUGGGHHHHH.....I feel like I'm going through the wringer of some kind. I hope next week will be better
Corporal....it's good to see somebody who's closer to my age. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one 'competeing' with the younger girls on here.
Anyways...hopefully I can start on my excercises soon.
Good luck to all of you......
Hey now! :happydance: Losing weight at ANY age is a success!

And ick. I know the feeling of studying. I just finished 8 years of college in May. And it feels so nice to be done! However for me, my studying was most effective when I gave myself a break even to go for a 15 minute jog as a study break. Does wonders for focus! And you are working out too!

Dang. Feel better! Being sick is no fun. Even more important to eat healthy (lots of protein and fruits/veggies!) to help yourself get over that cold.

#23 ·
Woohoo I'm totally joining!! :D I've been trying to lose 10 lbs since June and I'm only a couple lbs away from my goal...by making sure I restrict to net 1,500 Cals/day and keeping active...but I've fallen off the wagon lately...ahem, 950 Cals over goal today :(

Stats:
Age - 32
Height - 5'1"
Current weight - 114 lbs
Goal weight - 110
Posted via Mobile Device

#30 ·
Woohoo I'm totally joining!! :D I've been trying to lose 10 lbs since June and I'm only a couple lbs away from my goal...by making sure I restrict to net 1,500 Cals/day and keeping active...but I've fallen off the wagon lately...ahem, 950 Cals over goal today :(

Stats:
Age - 32
Height - 5'1"
Current weight - 114 lbs
Goal weight - 110
Posted via Mobile Device
You are SO close! Good job!

Yes, report to us. :twisted: We will keep you in line!

And make sure to say where your calories are coming from. Obviously, if you ate one McDonalds Big Mac per day (and that's it), you'd stay in your 1,500 calorie range. Obviously, that wouldn't be healthy. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, whole wheat (slowly digestable and full of fiber), and a good amount of protein. And of course, water, water, water!

#25 ·
I want in on this. I have normally been pretty active and workout but I had to take a few months off from everything because I had cartilage inflammation behind my kneecap. November will be a rocky start off for me (traveling a lot) but I plan to change my eating habits and get in as much exercise as possible. My stats:

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 150
Goal: Closer to 130...mostly just to be fit, trim, and back in my size 8 jeans.

#31 ·
I want in on this. I have normally been pretty active and workout but I had to take a few months off from everything because I had cartilage inflammation behind my kneecap. November will be a rocky start off for me (traveling a lot) but I plan to change my eating habits and get in as much exercise as possible. My stats:

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 150
Goal: Closer to 130...mostly just to be fit, trim, and back in my size 8 jeans.
Hi Mtngrl!!

Injuries always really put a cramp in things. I myself have to be careful with my left knee, especially when doing squats and doing cycling.

Are you able to do any sort of upper body workouts, so as not to bother your knee? You can do punching actions (amazing how just punching the air for 20 minutes can get your heart rate up) or you can do upper body weights. And if you're careful with body position, you can certainly do sit-ups and ab workouts. Always think about what you CAN do, and not just what your injuries limit you to.

#32 ·
I have been doing some stuff, it's mostly my eating that's gotten the better of me. Before my knee became angry (as my doctor put it) I was really good...I had a consistent eating plan because I stayed so busy. It's so easy to fall out of good habits! I have a Wii Fit and I did some boxing and other things that didn't bother my knee on there. I was able to ride my bike lightly and do some light walking so I wasn't totally laid up, just felt like it. Normally I take a kettlebell class 3-4 days a week and an aerobic class 3 days a week. I also would walk/jog every morning and ride my bike just whenever I felt like it...not to mention all the horse riding and daily barn/house work that gets done! I just felt like a slob being so limited, and in the beginning when it bothered me to stand for long periods of time, I just sat...and ate.

#34 ·
YAAAYYYYY!!! I got over 96% on my both practical and written. I didn't think I would pass but I did. Studying and munching has paid off. Now it's time to keep my hands out of the goody bag and focus on getting myself into good shape. Tomorrow...my dog and I are going to go out for a good run (try too anyways).
Beau...thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to be on this kind of thread that there is continues positive feedback no matter what I say.

#36 ·
208 over is not horrible. Get yourself an extra 20 minutes of cardio in today or tomorrow to make up for it! That's a reasonable thing to fix!

Last night I did a good job of eating some carrots with homemade guacamole .... and then cheated a wee bit by having some peanut butter (another weakness of mine!! Love the stuff.) and honey on a rice cake. So at least I put it on a whole grain rice cake instead of a piece of bread, I tell myself anyway.

But Friday night I got about 30 minutes of cardio in at the gym. I deliberatly took it easy to kind of try to ease into working out again, so I'm not so horribly sore.

Saturday morning I did a step class with a friend. Oh good Lord. It was a ton of fun and I am going to keep doing it, but I was so tired! I mean to the point of feeling like I had to throw up! LOL But it felt great!

Yesterday morning I tried a Zumba class for the very first time with a friend (also first time for her), and I probably won't do it again. I just felt totally lost and didn't know any of the dances! I liked the Step class way better. There is a kickboxing class on Sundays that I want to try, but it's listed as "not for beginners" so I need to get in a little better shape before I go for that. Maybe in a couple weeks!

And today, if I have time after work, I'm gonna get some cardio in before I go play our weekly co-ed volleyball match tonight.

My calves are killing me sore, but it feels so good to be exercising again!

And ETA awesome job on the exam Strawberry! It's always nice when you're studying pays off. They were munchies well worth it!!! Education is so important.

#37 ·
Beau I ate at my desk during my lunch so that I could go downstairs to our corporate fitness center to walk on the treadmill, thanks for the motivation! :D nice job on all that cardio, you kick butt!!!

Oh and a trick I learned from my Pro Triathlete husband to avoid soreness in your legs the next day...after you work out, lay on the floor with your legs up on the wall for 10 mins at least, so that the blood drains out...then stand up and fresh blood will circulate through! I swear it is magic, so easy and works like a charm! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: beau159
#40 ·
Beau I ate at my desk during my lunch so that I could go downstairs to our corporate fitness center to walk on the treadmill, thanks for the motivation! :D nice job on all that cardio, you kick butt!!!

Oh and a trick I learned from my Pro Triathlete husband to avoid soreness in your legs the next day...after you work out, lay on the floor with your legs up on the wall for 10 mins at least, so that the blood drains out...then stand up and fresh blood will circulate through! I swear it is magic, so easy and works like a charm! :D
Posted via Mobile Device
I am super jealous! A fitness center in your own building? That's awesome!

I have never heard of that soreness trick! Next time I know I will be sore, I am totally going to try it.

Tonight I'm gonna get a good hard workout in. I've given myself a few days to "ease" into it again, and now its go time.

I'm gonna do the weight lifting program I had designed by a personal trainer (I save all workout plans they make!!) where you work opposite muscle groups without resting in-between. So for example I'll do a set for triceps and go right into a set of biceps, and then back without resting. You can rest when you switch muscle groups.

And then depending on time (as I"ll be at work until about 7 PM tonight) I might just do a quick mile on the treadmil for at least some cardio.

I won't get to work out tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday (danged it!!) as I will be going to my parents to help them sell some calves. But I guess I'll be running after cows, so I guess that's at least something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.