The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   what is the blowing air sound my horse makes?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-blowing-air-sound-my-horse-140781/)

AlottaBitCountry 10-17-2012 11:44 AM

what is the blowing air sound my horse makes??

i have never heard my horse or another horse make this noise in person before. it is not the snorting/purring air noise. it sounds more like a whale blowing air from an air hole!! and it was VERY loud.. he was a good acre away from me and it was super loud. his was running around and would stop and make the noise and stare off. and run around some more and stop and make the noise....

again it deffinately sounded like a whale blowing air than like the snorting/purring sound they do when blowing air through the nostrils.

this might be silly but im curious, ive never heard a horse make this noise myself before and i couldnt find a reference online anywhere

mls 10-17-2012 12:02 PM

Most of my horses have done it over the years. Typically after goofing off. Seems to me it's a "look at me" as head is as high as it can go, nostrils flared, ears perked as perk can be and back arched with tail flung over their hindquarters.

Speed Racer 10-17-2012 12:06 PM

I call that their 'dragon snort'. :-P

AlottaBitCountry 10-17-2012 12:21 PM

Haha I thought it kind of sounded like a dragon at one point too lol! Yeah at first I was playing with him and he was runnin around bucking and kicking and throwing his head around then he ran off and stopped like he was lookin at something and was doing that, and then he'd run some more and stop and do it some more lol
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 10-17-2012 12:29 PM

My Arabs do that all the time. Run around with their head and tail up, run sideways, stop and snort, and then spin off and do it all again.
I love watching that!

AlottaBitCountry 10-17-2012 12:39 PM

Yah lol he does that sometimes too but this noise literally sounds like a whales blow hole haha
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 10-17-2012 12:41 PM

LOL Yup! Almost blows your eardrum when they do it right beside you, too!

AlottaBitCountry 10-17-2012 12:42 PM

I would imagine lol it was sooo loud across the field lol
Posted via Mobile Device