The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Does anyone NOT like David Lee Archer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/does-anyone-not-like-david-lee-140786/)

xxxxxxxxSocalgirl 10-17-2012 01:22 PM

Does anyone NOT like David Lee Archer?

I feel like the black sheep, and he has almost a cult like following and I just can't understand why. Not only is he a major hypocrite, but also his training techniques are far from safe as well as his skills with being a nice human being far from expected from a professional.

Anyone else see through his farce?

Speed Racer 10-17-2012 01:43 PM

Never heard of him.

Tianimalz 10-17-2012 01:45 PM

I like his mustache.

Speed Racer 10-17-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tianimalz (Post 1722250)
I like his mustache.

:rofl:

Tell me, does Pat Parelli have anything to worry about in the 'stache department? He's been the King of Moustache for a very long time.

Tianimalz 10-17-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1722258)
:rofl:

Tell me, does Pat Parelli have anything to worry about in the 'stache department? He's been the King of Moustache for a very long time.

David here has a more old timey look to him, more down and dirty so I give his scraggly face hair some extra points above Sir Pepperoni :lol:

http://www.middleearth.me.uk/usabili.../Shadowfax.jpg

I don't think anyone can beat this horseman's face hair though

:rofl: :rofl:

Speed Racer 10-17-2012 01:52 PM

True, true! Gandalf has everyone beat for facial hair. Plus, he's a wizard. :wink:

Honestly, there seems to be another new NH Guru come onto the scene every time I turn around. I don't even try to keep track of all of them anymore.

If he's an asshat, don't train with him. If you don't like his YouBoob videos, don't watch 'em. I've been able to avoid a lot of stress that way. :-P

xxxxxxxxSocalgirl 10-17-2012 01:53 PM

• Well... I found one comment on youtube that agrees with me!

(for those who don't know him here's his most popular video. Not ropes everywhere , dogs chasing scared horse etc. Absolutely awful trainer who has fees of 800 a month! )

• Mr. DLA, I just had to watch quite a few of your vids to confirm what I thought. My opinion is that there are as many training methods as horse trainers around. I will tell you that I think you know a lot but your way of criticizing those who don't think like you and constantly trying to run them down in all your vids makes you look frustrated and stuck up. Just concentrate on your teaching + check out Monty Roberts, even you can still learn from top notch horse people.

Robert Nesta Marley 4 months ago

• yes there is now dont believe in join up because in reality it is tiring a horse... Like his mustang thing that was aired a few years ago that mustang was ran for two days pretty much none stop before he was caught up.. Also maybe you should his aunts book might give you some insight.

Muppetgirl 10-17-2012 02:00 PM

Ooooooooh that guy! Haha I've seen some of his YouTube vids before. Yes he doesn't present very professionally, I didn't really pay too much attention to his vids as I was distracted by the dog and the ropes......perhaps it's smoke and mirrors? Like a magician, let's distract the audience enough that they don't actually see the trick? Haha!

TKButtermilk 10-17-2012 02:00 PM

I know him personally, have watched him work and my mom kinda dated him for a while. I think you guys need to remember just how many horses he had to work with everyday, and the situations he is handled. That said I DO however think that he tends to not take the time to personalize his technique for each horse. Again, this is likely do to the sheer volume of horses he has come through the rescue. He is a very nice man, although gruff. Yeah, he's a cowboy so he doesn't wear a helmet, chest protector, etc (not saying its okay, just sayin). I think he just does what he needs to do to get things done, and I know a lot of horses and people whose lives he has changed. I think like with any trainer (especially over the Internet...) you need to take what you can use and leave the rest. You may have seen a video he has of a bay filly, idk if her name was mentioned but it's Coco. In the video he ties her face to her tail (not something I agree with..but I think it could be judged REALLY bad if you don't know the filly.) That filly was actually ours, the guy whose ranch we lived at had bred for her and she is SERIOUSLY missing a nut or two. She has had everything done right, seen many trainers and she's absolutely bat poop crazy. She is one of those horses that just needs to be euthanized because she's beyond rotten. At that point David was trying anything and everything to get through to her and save her life. Those are the kinds of horses he deals with. Anyways, not trying to change anyone's mind and I'm really not for or against him. I have major respect and appreciation for what he does for the horses be can, but don't necessarily agree or disagree with all of his training methods.

On a side note, his mustache is totally cool! He's actually a very small, dare I say petite person haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

xxxxxxxxSocalgirl 10-17-2012 02:13 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm not for him for the simple reason I too agree with what you see on video doesn't show it all. When I first met him I knew he was an old school cowboy and admired his work with the rescues. I use natural horsemanship but I don't judge him because of only his training styles but people skills as well. As soon as he got in my face over nothing simply because he was having a bad day every ounce of respect I had was gone. I don't know what yelling in someones face has to do with being "true to your horse" but I just find it a two faced move.