The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   It came! (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/came-140823/)

littrella 10-17-2012 08:16 PM

It came!

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered a surcingle for my donkey & it came today! I'm so excited. Now we can slowly start working on ground driving!

Taffy Clayton 10-17-2012 08:52 PM

It looks like a very nice one. I am so excited for photos!!!

You should have seen all the donkeys at the National Drive in KY last week. There were more donkeys than any other breed of equine, Each one was better looking than the next.

The organizers put most of the Donkies and mules down one isle of the barns, it was a very noisy place.:lol:

littrella 10-17-2012 09:02 PM

I was really suprised at the quality considering it was only 20$. Taffy, was going to ask for your opnion on something. I am slowly putting together my harness & training equipment. The only thing that I am stumped on is what bit to order. I am debating between a half cheek mullen or a half cheek jointed snaffle. A penny for your thoughts?

Taffy Clayton 10-17-2012 09:43 PM

I like them both. When I ground drive in an open bridle I use a broken snaffle.
When I drive I use a mullen mouth.

What I would do is try the broken snaffle first; you can pick one up relatively cheep. See how he goes at the beginning, you can make changes if you need to.
I try not to spend too much $$$ on a bit until I am sure.

In WI at the ADS annual meeting I went to a seminar on bitting and the speaker generally said try a lot and use what works best.

What size do you need? I know I have two mini bits I don't use anymore.

Taffy Clayton 10-17-2012 09:50 PM

I read your post again, if you are picking a bit that will come with your harness, I would pick the mullen mouth. The mullen will be harder to pick up at tack sales or at the used dept of your tack store. If you are just purchasing your first training bit, I would look for the broken snaffle.

I would start your ground work with the broken snaffle.

littrella 10-17-2012 09:57 PM

I found an inexpensive harness that I am going to pick up after the holidays for training purposes. Even though it says it's a "complete Harness for minis" it comes with a 5"bit. I'm pretty sure I need a 3 1/2" He wasn't exactly being helpful with me putting a string in his mouth!

littrella 10-17-2012 09:58 PM

I have to order everything online, the limited tack/farm supply stores around here carry NOTHING for driving