The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Morgan Circuit Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/morgan-circuit-western-pleasure-140889/)

Hailey1203 10-18-2012 02:41 PM

Morgan Circuit Western Pleasure

Hey guys!

So starting this Sunday, im going to start taking western lessons on a beautiful Morgan gelding. Then, the plan is for us to show Western Pleasure this summer. However, i used to be a strictly English rider, so the whole western pleasure world is new to me. I know that the Western Pleasure on the Morgan circuit is MUCH different then the Western Pleasure on the AQHA circuit. So, my question(s) are

1) What is the different between the circuits?
2) What is my "goal" on the Morgan circuit? (AQHA --> long and low)
3) General tips for switching from English to western

Thanks!

Hailey1203 10-19-2012 09:40 AM

Anyone?

GotaDunQH 10-20-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hailey1203 (Post 1723506)
Hey guys!

So starting this Sunday, im going to start taking western lessons on a beautiful Morgan gelding. Then, the plan is for us to show Western Pleasure this summer. However, i used to be a strictly English rider, so the whole western pleasure world is new to me. I know that the Western Pleasure on the Morgan circuit is MUCH different then the Western Pleasure on the AQHA circuit. So, my question(s) are

Thanks!

Big difference between AQHA WP and Morgan WP and it really relates to mindset and conformation. You really want some animation on a Morgan WP horse...but controlled animation, not the animation you would see in a Park Horse. The jog is still expected to be slow, with some nice knee and a definite two beat rhythm. The curb bits they use are super ornate and super heavy (never quite understood that..me coming from the AQHA perspective) and there needs to be some contact, light contact....not a drape in the rein AQHA style, and not tight like saddleseat style. Suggestion....get with a trainer that works with Morgan WP horses.

Incitatus32 01-05-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hailey1203 (Post 1723506)
Hey guys!

Thanks!

1. The difference is mainly that in AQHA there is that long headset and low. In the Morgan circuit they need to be a bit more animated (not severely, however) they also have a higher headset.
2. The goal on the Morgan shows is to have a loose rein (not as loose as in AQHA, but still relaxed) a slow, but somewhat flashy stride (so higher leg action than in a quarter horse, but not like a saddle horse)
3. when switching try to stay relaxed and remember to stay loose. In western (especially western pleasure) it should look like your just 'along for the ride'. But don't flop around like a fish! Also things like seat positioning at the canter and posting the trot. (I know a couple of morgans that their cue to canter is solely based on shifting your hands and cuing with your leg so when people shift their seats they do something completely different).

Good luck! :)