The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feed plan for yearling QHs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-plan-yearling-qhs-140900/)

Broodmare 10-18-2012 05:44 PM

Feed plan for yearling QHs

I have two yearling Quarter horses, both were starved as weanlings, but Karma was the worst. Right now I'm feeding 2lbs of beet pulp(soaked, weighed dry) 2X a day, 4lbs of Mare and Foal a day and grass hay (2 flakes 2X a day) and a flake of alfalfa 2X a day, they also get pasture and hour a day and are on it free choice during the weekends starting Friday evening and coming back in on Monday morning. Our pasture is Alfalfa, clover, and grass. They also get and ounce of fast track every morning. My question is, Is this feed plan okay for them? I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how. :)

Broodmare 10-19-2012 10:21 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I have included two pictures of Karma the first day I had her (she is the Buckskin) and two of her now. As well as two of Blondie now. :) (Pally)

Saddlebag 10-19-2012 10:33 AM

She wasn't that bad when you bro't her home as youngsters shouldn't be fat. Go easy on the supplemental feeding or they grow too fast. Four lbs of mare and foal is a lot. Because it is eaten quite quickly a lot of it will be in the manure on the ground as it passes thro somewhat quickly. Put the hay in small mesh nets which makes them nibble it rather than chewing a wad. This improves digestion and they absorb more of the nurtrients. Their coats look nice but they've developed a belly. Welcome to the forum.

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 10:36 AM

agreed with the above they both look good now:)

Broodmare 10-19-2012 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is again the day I got her. If this is what a weanling is supposed to look like then all the healthy ones I have seen were way off. :/

Broodmare 10-19-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1724430)
She wasn't that bad when you bro't her home as youngsters shouldn't be fat. Go easy on the supplemental feeding or they grow too fast. Four lbs of mare and foal is a lot. Because it is eaten quite quickly a lot of it will be in the manure on the ground as it passes thro somewhat quickly. Put the hay in small mesh nets which makes them nibble it rather than chewing a wad. This improves digestion and they absorb more of the nurtrients. Their coats look nice but they've developed a belly. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
Don't let how fuzzy she was fool you! She was skin stretched over bone. :( Vet was surprised she was still alive. :(

Broodmare 10-19-2012 11:07 AM

She is still small enough as a YEARLING that she wears the same size halter as my Mini cross ponies. :/ LOL

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 11:07 AM

She does look a little under nurished.. but it could have been worse.when I got camo...

She was just the same.. but she wasnt weaned yet her mom was starving as well. I had to wean her early because she was sucking the life out of her mom.

I wish I had some before pictures of her but I only have what she looks like now which is quite like her girls... nice and PLUMP lol

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...k/PIC_3281.jpg
I would watch what you give them now.. since they are looking great:)

she looks fine for her size I think.. She just has a small head.

BlueSpark 10-19-2012 11:25 AM

She was very skinny as a weanling. However they both look great now, I would cut back the mare and foal a bit and take it easy on the supplements. Tons of free choice forage (good quality hay or pasture) is what they need. You want the growth to be steady, and avoid getting them fat. If they grow too quickly, get fat, or are way over dosed on supplements you can end up with major joint problems.

We've done free choice mineral tubs before, that way they eat what they need.

Broodmare 10-19-2012 11:35 AM

Her mother was so skinny I thought she was the weanling. She died a few days after we got Karma. :( She would have been a beautiful mare if she was taken care of. Karma was not yet weaned when I got her, so she literally did suck the life from her.

Karma is VERY hard to keep weight on, just hay and pasture are not enough for her. 4lbs a day of mare and foal is recommended on the bag...so why is that to much? I was feeding Jr. Glow by ADM and that was 6 lbs a day.