The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Circumcision, and why people can't just respect your descision. (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/circumcision-why-people-cant-just-respect-140903/)

peppersgirl 10-18-2012 05:10 PM

Circumcision, and why people can't just respect your descision.

OK so some of you may or may not know, I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first, who happens to be a boy.... Getting him circumcised was a no brainer as My husband is (tmi sorry),and he wants his son to be as well ( thats the main reason)... Plus I have researched it (for and against), and its just my own personal preferance for various other reasons to have it done.

Now my sister on the other hand has gotten pretty hot over this issue just got off the phone with her actually) and says that I am "cowardly, insane, and un-imformed" . And that I will be mutilating my sons genitals... I have NOTHING against people who choose not to circumcise their boys, and wouldn't dare to argue that they should.

ITS PERSONAL PREFERENCE IN MY BOOK. She is still trying to work her view into me even though I told her I am NOT unimformed I just have differing views, and its pissing me off, like almost to the point of telling her to not bother coming out (she lives in cali) for the birth. I said to her "I dont expect you to support me having it done, but you need to respect my descision to do so and not harrassme on it"... haha yeaaah right

mind you she isnt a mother, and never intends to be- And she claims that circing will hurt the mother child bond..:-|

But Im wondering for you mothers out there, when the hell did this become a debate?? I have yet to meet a man that has felt wronged about being circumcised (i wil just ask male friends and co workers)...No lasting phsycological effects and what not... To me it seems to be more women yelling about it...

And those of you who have had it done to your sons, did you have any mother/child bonding loss because of it??? Because it seems to me that bonding would be more effected by all the sh!t they do to you and baby in hospital... not the circ itself.... so IM really interested to know your thoughts.

And lastly what would you do in my situation? thanks!

riccil0ve 10-18-2012 05:18 PM

Not a mother, but my nephew was circumcised and he gets along with his mother just fine. The baby will not remember what was done. Do you remember your first doctor visit? As the mother, you have the right to do what you want as far as his little winkie, just like you have the right to breast feed or bottle feed. Tell your sister to shove it.

And for what it's worth, if I have a son in the future, he will be circumcised, simply for the hygiene aspect.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 10-18-2012 05:31 PM

I'm confused... since when did this become a topic that is discussed with people other than the parents and doctor of the baby?

Probably a good thing I had girls because if someone other than the Doctor had asked if I planned on circumcision, I would have told them it was absolutely none of their business and if they had offered up unsolicited opinions, I would have told them to stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

I don't base my medical decisions on opinions given by non-Medically trained personnel and I certainly don't go around telling people about them either!

MissKriss 10-18-2012 05:36 PM

That baby will not know the difference, or remember a thing. I'm 21 years old, I have a son myself, he just turned 1 years old Oct. 10th (<3 <3) anywho, I had to wait a whole month after he was born to get him circumsized, he doesn't remember it at all, and its A LOT easier in life with it done. Its actually kinda odd for kids to not be circumsized over here in california...

Id tell that lady that this baby is YOURS not hers, and although you respect her opinion on the matter, its your decision reguardless, and id nicely but firmly tell her to kick rocks!

>:) I hate people that try to tell you how to raise YOUR child! Don't put up with that girly! And congrats on your boy! They are quite special :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 10-18-2012 05:55 PM

yeh i dont even ssee why this has been discussed at all with anyone other than dad/mom/ and delivery doctor.

MissKriss 10-18-2012 05:58 PM

Cause you can talk/ ask your own sister for advice and opinions..
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 10-18-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKriss (Post 1723735)
Cause you can talk/ ask your own sister for advice and opinions..
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but if your sister is a closed-minded, overbearing, pushy individual, WHY would you!? Beating your head against a wall only give YOU a headache.

MissKriss 10-18-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1723763)
Yes, but if your sister is a closed-minded, overbearing, pushy individual, WHY would you!? Beating your head against a wall only give YOU a headache.

Touché my friend!
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 10-18-2012 06:42 PM

Congratulations on the future birth of you son. My son is 31 and I am happy to say we bonded very well and are still very close! I couldn't ask for a better son!

Your decision and yours alone...not your sisters. If you feel the need to justify your decision with her tell her it was a decision you made and that you feel you are well informed and are making the best decision for your family and your son. If she continues tell her to myob :) as you did with her!

franknbeans 10-18-2012 07:05 PM

It was a no brainer for me, and my sons certainly do not )in their adult life) hold it against me. My year old grandson also is. We do have a close friend, in his 50's now, who is not. A couple of years ago he actually was looking into getting it done, since the risk of cervical cancer is higher for his wife. (FYI-his own son IS). It is a personal choice, not up to your sister. I am also dealing with a pushy sis in law at the moment, and there comes a time when you just have to tell them it is not open for discussion. PERIOD. If she wants to make that decision, guess she should actually have her own.

Congrats on your soon to be little one. THey are just a joy.