The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Ariat tall boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/ariat-tall-boots-14091/)

appylover31803 08-29-2008 08:34 PM

Ariat tall boots

I got.. well my mom got me... a pair of Ariat tall boots today. They are either the dress of field boots.. i'll have to look.

I asked the guy there if I had to condition them because they're leather and he said no, but i figured I'd ask on here anyways.

Do i have to buy any special leather conditioner for them?
The guy also said it would take 3-4 rides for me to break them in, which isn't a problem because i can do that in no time, but does that seem right? 3-4 rides to break in new boots?

Oh, i also got a those plastic things to go inside the boots... forgot the name :shock: but should i put them in now? or wait until they are already broken in to put them in?

These are my first real pair of tall boots.. I have a pair of Ariat winter boots, but they're not leather, so i can just clean those with water and a sponge, and i never did anything with my leather paddock boots.

JustDressageIt 08-29-2008 08:50 PM

Eee! I have Ariat tall boots on order - I CAN'T WAIT to get them!! I LOVE Ariat very much!
My last pair took about a week of riding to two weeks to get them broken in, but it WILL happen - don't be worried if it doesn't happen right away.
As for the boot shapers, yes, use them right away and keep using them between every ride - it will make the leather keep longer.
As for conditioning, no you shouldn't have to condition them at all. To clean, use a damp cloth (not wet) and wipe them clean. Then use boot polish to polish them up.
ENJOY!!

appylover31803 08-29-2008 08:57 PM

ok, just put the boot shapers in them.. hope i did it correctly.

Mine are the Heritage II field boot, with a zipper. Which ones did you get Allie?

I really like them.. no, i love them! I orginally wanted to get the Mountain Horse Supportive High Rider boots, but they only had regular with, and they were a bit too big, but i wanted them. I was being stubborn because i heard that field boots were very uncomfortable and took forever to break in (proved that the woman i got my winter boots from didn't know what she was talking about)
So i relunctantly tried on the Ariats and I was in love! They fit extremely well and wasn't all that hard to get on... and it had a zipper.. something that was a must.

I did plan to ride today, but i got back kind of late :( Will go tomorrow.

Polish.. i'll need to get that.. should i put it on after every ride? or only like once a month or so?

iridehorses 08-29-2008 10:50 PM

Appy, you should take care of your boots the same as your saddle or any other leather product. Cleaning them is always a must but some leather cream such as Horseman's One Step or whatever product you like for leather should be used from time to time.

To help break them in, wear them around the house or outside, not just in the saddle. Ariat uses great leather and will break in quickly.

Pinto Pony 08-29-2008 11:39 PM

I have the Ariat Challenge Field boots with the zip and it took one ride to break them in :D They feel great on, zip boots don't need as much time to break in and they also won't drop very much in height like non-zip boots, soooo easy to take on and off. I condition mine before every show so maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

appylover31803 08-30-2008 12:48 AM

ok.

I have 2 different conditioners/ cleaners that I'll use.
I'm also thinking about buying a tall boot bag to keep them in when I'm not using them.

I definitely LOVE the zipper... no more hassle to get them on/off :D

JustDressageIt 08-30-2008 12:58 AM

Appy - I ordered the Heritage II Field Zip as well - I tried on the Challengers, but found the Hertiage to be more comfortable, and the felt like they'd break in easier.
I can't wait for them to arrive!! :D:D

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-30-2008 01:42 AM

Not english boots, but I just got a pair of ariat's last weekend... I LOVE THEM!

Congrats on the new boots Appy!

appylover31803 08-30-2008 11:48 AM

That's awesome Allie! You're going to love them :)

Thanks Amy :)
I also got a fleece Ariat Jacket before i got my boots... i tried on a mountain horse jacket and it didn't fit... interesting how things work out

eventer_beau 08-30-2008 04:38 PM

i love my ariat tall boiot. to help them drop rub baby oil on them ;] makes the leatehr softer, shinnier and more flexible. but i have to send mine back, the zipper snapped off, and that happened to my friend too.. so just be careful their sippers are known to break. :/ but airats are great with taking back boots and sending you brand new ones. :] it's just a pain in the butt to break them in again and wait for them to come..