The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Help With Reining! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/help-reining-140930/)

Abihorse 10-19-2012 01:10 AM

Help With Reining!

Hi My name is Abby. The horse that I am starting to ride I believe is a reining horse. The only problem with that is the fact of I do not have a clue how to work on or with a reining horse. Any tips? Please help!

:?

Muppetgirl 10-19-2012 01:16 AM

Well I can't give you the complete guide, but I can give you a few tips:

Be soft
Be light
And don't ask for more than you can ride. Ie. don't ask for a sliding stop if you've never ridden a stop before, same goes with spins....get a good instructor who can guide you through the maneuvers.....it's hard to believe but most of the maneuvers are ridden quite a bit differently then one would think.....

I have ridden reiners before and worked with a trainer, just got my new reining horse a month ago and I have already done something to fudge his spin! But I will lump my way through it best I can lol: will get it fixed! Darn!!!

Tessa7707 10-19-2012 01:17 AM

Hi!! Welcome to the forum! Are you leasing this horse? Taking lessons on him or did you buy him? There are much more experienced reining people on here that are more qualified than I to respond, I'm sure.

Abihorse 10-19-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks. Umm... What are some of the signals for the moves?

Muppetgirl 10-19-2012 07:41 PM

It can vary......all trainers are a little different...work your cues in this order:
Turning to the left...an example:
Look where you want to go, left
Apply your outside leg, right leg
Apply outside (right rein) neck rein across horses neck so he moves off it...
And reverse it for turning to the right...work in that order and you'll start discovering things...use a soft cue first and only apply enough pressure to get the horse to do what you want, and as soon as he does, immediately release the pressure.......

I'd have to write a novel to tell you everything....There is sooooo much info....

But start there...

There are also some really good books through amazon about reining......

Cherie 10-22-2012 09:10 AM

My advice would be to take some lessons on your horse with a trainer that trains and shows reining horses. You can mess up his training very quickly.

You would not buy an airplane and try to learn how to fly it by yourself. It is not fair to this horse to try to 'invent it over' and teach yourself how to 'push the buttons right'. If he is a trained reining horse, someone spent a lot of time teaching him how to respond to each aid and cue. You do not want to mess it up.