The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What's Going on!? with my horse??! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/whats-going-my-horse-140963/)

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 01:15 PM

What's Going on!? with my horse??!

Okay. I went outside like 20 minutes ago.. Did my chores. Fed the horses a little bit of hay. Then all the sudden Poncho's throat was making Funny noises. He like stopped eating.. walked away.. kinda got all week legged.. Then just was shaking his head.. I have a video of you so you can see better.

Then he was coughing.. also in the video.. and llike coughed up a bunch of liquid and some chewed hay.. watch the videos to better understand what Im saying..

Should I walk him around..

He did go and lay down.. He was just laying there.. rolled once.. got back in the sitting up.. but laying down thing.. then got up.. and now is just standing there?

Poncho is a fat lazy horses.. He normally eats all the hay.. and right now.. Sunny is getting it ALL because Poncho isnt eating.. Wierd..

When I first went out there is was fine

what could this be?

I am downloading the videos onto Photobucket right now..

leapoffaithfarm 10-19-2012 01:17 PM

From what you describes it sounds like he might have a case of choke.
My old mare does this every now and then on the rare occasion that she will eat hay.... normally i just leave her alone and check on her in about an hour and she is fine.
I have had one horse that it was no better in an hour and we had to call the vet to take care of it.

poppy1356 10-19-2012 01:25 PM

Choke. My mare before I got her had an episode last 3 hours and the vet had to dislodge it. You can massage the esophegus to help it move but if it continues a vet should be called.

farmpony84 10-19-2012 01:26 PM

I agree. It sounds like he had choke. I'd watch him over the next hour as suggested. If he's still acting a little wierd, then I would have the vet out.

Annanoel 10-19-2012 01:27 PM

I agree as well here! Keep an eye on him and if it keeps up like others said call the vet.

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 01:28 PM

I think part of is was 'dislodged' when he coughed it up... This has happened before with him.. Is there something that causes horses to do this?

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 01:30 PM

MOV045.mp4 video by sjsj_2009 - Photobucket

^^ one video

poppy1356 10-19-2012 01:30 PM

How do you feed them? On the ground? Up higher? If on the ground and he chokes on hay, I would have his teeth checked and then if that is fine I would have the vet check to make sure there isn't anything in the way on his neck (internally)

barrelbeginner 10-19-2012 01:31 PM

We feed them on the ground..we have had him for 3 years I believe.. this is only he 2nd time ive seen him doing this..

MangoRoX87 10-19-2012 01:33 PM

Is he better??! I'm confused. You need to get a vet out if its not coming up. Chances are its still lodged in his throat. If he refuses to eat anything, even grain, it's not up..
Posted via Mobile Device