The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Talk to me about switching styles... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/talk-me-about-switching-styles-140964/)

MapleAir 10-19-2012 01:46 PM

Talk to me about switching styles...

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and thought some of you might want to share their thoughts and tips on my current situation:

I've been riding English (competitively for 15 years) pretty much all my life, was never exposed to Western style at all.

I bought my new gelding in the summer as a Dressage prospect, only does he not want to be my dressage prospect. He wants to be a Western horse. How I know that? Well, he does "participate" in Dressage training but his mind isn't at it and he seemed unhappy of sorts. And I knew he was once upon a time started Western, so I threw the tack on him and he's a different horse. Active, eager to please, happy. Ok, then, we'll ride Western from now on. I want him to be content, because I truly believe that we'll only be successful and have a good relationship in the long run if we find something we both enjoy.

Here is the catch: I have never, never, ever had a thing to do with Western and I don;t know what direction to go into etc. Can the ones who have successfully mastered the switch give me some pointers, please?
Also, YES, I DO HAVE A TRAINER. But only once a week and weather permitting. We don't have an arena.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Tara

Fulford15 10-19-2012 01:59 PM

I was in the same position you were a few years ago, personally I do Western just for fun and to change it up, keep the horse from getting bored. I ride both English & Western competively now.

tinyliny 10-19-2012 02:15 PM

If I had my "druthers" I'd do reining. But, I also think Competitive Trail Riding woudl be cool. I ride both, but ride W on trails mostly. I dont' compete at all.

Joe4d 10-19-2012 02:17 PM

well first ya gotta look the part. Get ya a hat, bigger is always better, and some genuine goatroperboots, the taller the better, some jingle jangle spurs and a belt with a trashcan lid for a buckle and your name in the back. Start walking around with your thumbs hooked behind said buckle.
Next lesson vocabulary.

tinyliny 10-19-2012 02:20 PM

Ever so helpful, Joe.

Celeste 10-19-2012 02:21 PM

Joe, you are behaving badly again.

MHFoundation Quarters 10-19-2012 02:28 PM

I never made "the switch" but have rode english & western both my whole life. Do you know what his western training background was in? What western disciplines appeal to you? There are a lot of fun things to do depending on where you both are comfortable going.

MapleAir 10-19-2012 02:42 PM

Sadly, I have no idea what his previous training was in, I guess if I was experienced, I could probably tell (as I could tell with an Eglish ridden horse).
My boy is 16.1 hh and 12 years old, I'm the opposite of a speed demon, so guess the barrels are out, although they are great for training purposes, just with out the tick-tock-part =)
I had to you tube how to do the cinch up, felt like the biggest idiot.

MHFoundation Quarters 10-19-2012 02:51 PM

Since you aren't a speed demon maybe show trail? It takes a lot of work, precision body control & rider finesse (might appeal to your dressage side?) and is a lot of fun when you get good at it. It offers a lot for a horse to "work" at, sounds like he is eager to please, might be a fit for him. Any pics of your guy to share with us?

MapleAir 10-19-2012 03:21 PM

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...95463318_n.jpg

This was still in English gear. =)