The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Awful tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/awful-tail-141001/)

Ellieandrose 10-19-2012 10:25 PM

Awful tail

So, Zoey has a pretty bed tail. It's thin, really thin and up the top(the little sproutie bits) its just to thin to plait and there is a bald patch only just covered by the hair above. I have a show on the 10 & 11 of next month. Is there anything I can do to make it presentable? I will put up photo's when I get the chance to take some.

CLaPorte432 10-19-2012 10:33 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Photos would help.

MTG and a really great conditioner for now.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 10-20-2012 12:53 AM

we have had a battle with burrs this year and i am extremely pick about my tails. what i do is wash them really good then condition them and rinse. let completely dry. i take equal parts water, listening, and vinegar and rub it into their tail docks. let dry. i braid from the end of the tail bone down and then bag. i never put any detangler products or sprays on their manes or tails. i repeat the mixture on the tail docks once a week and rebraid. only three weeks of doing this and their tails are becoming much much thicker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ellieandrose 10-21-2012 05:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is her tail. Photo's were taken today.
Attachment 115812 Attachment 115813

Attachment 115814

caseymyhorserocks 10-21-2012 06:01 PM

Does she rub her butt on trees and such?That can be an issue for growing out long tails. There are several reasons horses rub their butts- pinworms which will cause discomfort under the dock, dirty teats (very itchy for them, they try to itch them by rubbing their butt), or dry itchy skin. I would say its one of the first two because her skin doesn't like dry or dand-ruffy at all. You can test if its really the docky itching by scratching it with your fingers, if she leans into or raises her tail up her dock it's probably just itchy. I would get a fecal egg test for pinworms and give her a good wormer for pinworms anyways, make sure her teats and all area in between her hind legs and butt cheeks are clean, and if those don't work spray it with a 50/50 mix of listerine mouth wash and baby oil on her tail daily.

Ellieandrose 10-21-2012 06:05 PM

I think it would just be er teats then because she had blood taken the other day can it ce back completely clean. I with try the listerine and baby oil! :) thank you guys for all of your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reno Bay 10-21-2012 06:32 PM

My boy's tail is scraggly too. I don't have any hopes that it'll come in nice and thick and pretty...just because he's a Thoroughbred. They're not really bred to have the prettiest, braidable tails, sadly. At least his mane is nice XD

Muppetgirl 10-22-2012 12:00 AM

Your horse has a better tail than mine! But I braid my horses tail haha it makes his big QH but look pretty good!

I used to be a pro groom (show jumpers) and I used to pull the horses tail to get rid of all that outwards pointing fuzz!

What discipline are you showing? Because I know you can strategically pull a western horses tail to settle all that fuzz down, without it looking tooooo English:-)

Put some rubber gloves on and pull those side hairs out....it will tame it down, just do it enough to make it look natural:-)

primaxo 10-22-2012 08:40 PM

For some reason I can't see the pictures but this happened once with my horse, I groomed his tail a little too much and it became very thin! I only began brushing it once a week or so and it grew back!

Spotted 10-22-2012 09:10 PM

I'm thinking pinworms or lice.