The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Could be a very stupid question (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/could-very-stupid-question-141006/)

sjkubista 10-19-2012 09:50 PM

Could be a very stupid question

Hi, I know little to almost nothing about gaited horses, I love the look of the Tennesse Walking Horse but the gaited paces dont sound appealing to me. Do TWHs have to be gaited? Is it more of a genetic thing or a trained thing or both?

Thanks.

Guilherme 10-19-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjkubista (Post 1725239)
Hi, I know little to almost nothing about gaited horses, I love the look of the Tennesse Walking Horse but the gaited paces dont sound appealing to me. Do TWHs have to be gaited? Is it more of a genetic thing or a trained thing or both?

Thanks.

In any well bred gaited horse the signature gait is genetic. But, as a diamond may be polished so may a gait!!! That's where the training, conditioning, and proper riding comes in. :-)

G.

MysterySparrow 10-19-2012 11:19 PM

The gait of the gaited breeds is a genetic feature, though there are some that simply do not have it. If you are more concerned with the look than with it being papered, you can look for crosses on non-gaited breeds. I have seen a few that look like TWH but do not gait.

Darrin 10-19-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjkubista (Post 1725239)

Thanks.

Ride one today, buy one tomorrow didn't come from their looks!

I've known a few people who don't like a walker's gait and all but one has been because their gait aggravates an injury. The one is because the rider "couldn't feel their feet hitting the ground", whatever. Anyway, their gait is genetic but if you take one that isn't well gaited to start with and never gait them you can end up with an a walker that isn't gaited but have the personality. Or, as suggested, buy a cross breed that isn't gaited but then they might not have the personality either.

LadyDreamer 10-20-2012 01:12 AM

Have you looked into American Saddlebreds? An almost similar look, but is a trotting horse instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjkubista 10-20-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 1725389)
Have you looked into American Saddlebreds? An almost similar look, but is a trotting horse instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought Saddlebreds were gaited? or is it they can be gaited, yes i do also like the look of the Saddlebreds.

LadyDreamer 10-20-2012 05:39 PM

They have the natural inclination to learn the gaits, due to their Ancestors the Narangansett Pacer, but thanks to the strong influence of the Thoroughbred they are predominately trotting horses. There are a few "naturally gaited" individuals but they are very rare and not sought after or bred for. The "Five Gaited " American Saddlebreds you find were taught how to do the extra gaits. If they do not look like they will be successful as a Five gaited horse, or are not built for it, or look like they would be successful in another area, or for any number of other reasons, they are just not taught. You can get a gaited one fairly easily, it just had to be taught, unlike, say a TWH who are truly a natural gaited horse, born doing it.

Here is a neat video that the ASHA did for the WEG.
The American Saddlebred - All American Athlete - YouTube
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 10-20-2012 06:34 PM

Are you referring to the Big Lick gait ? Not all are trained to do that.
there are Plantation bred horses, that have not been trained to exaggerate the gait. GO look and ride one, you may find one you like

Joidigm 10-20-2012 09:45 PM

Or maybe look into Saddleseat horses, Missouri Foxtrotters, or Peruvian Paso and Paso Fino's. Gait is plentiful and come in several styles naturally.

kstinson 10-25-2012 02:56 PM

as with any discipline you need to learn to ride in it to do it properly, but if you are buying a horse that is already solid in their gaits -really you just need to learn to correct them when they go out of gait and learn what it feels like when they do -same as you would learn to round a horse when they get strung out in dressage.

My horses, and all of our horses on the farm gait in the pasture naturally, but when they go out theyre all different, and all gaited horses go out sometimes. My gelding he does a hard pace when he goes out -he doesnt do it often but when he does i just ask him to move off the rear, and he regroups. You dont want to ride that pace lol. My mare, again doesnt go out often as she has been consistently ridden and trained -but when she does go out or when she was just under saddle at 3 yrs old, she tended to go to a step pace, which is actually quite smooth and if you're looking for a good trail horse one that does that as their 'lazy gait' is quite pleasurable to ride. It's all what youre looking for.
All of our horses are barefoot or keg shod trained so you dont need any devices to make them walk, they were bred properly and there are some of them out there.