The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   french links? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/french-links-14101/)

whitetrashwarmblood 08-29-2008 10:40 PM

french links?

I use a straight bar snaffle on my mare
but i want to wean her on to just a plain jointed snaffle or a double-jointed/french link snaffle.
i'd rather just use a plain snaffle, since i have tons of those
but since she's a warmblood, isn't the roof of her month lower than normal? and that's why they made french links? idk
that's what i've heard
i just want to know if it's true
and if i should go out and buy a french link

JustDressageIt 08-30-2008 12:09 AM

I personally favor a french link (or any double-jointed bit, i.e. Dr Bristols, bean mouth, oval mouth, etc) over a plain single joint any day. They use more tongue pressure, and do not have the cracker-jack action that snaffles have. They also can't hinge and hit the palate, which snaffles often do.
I will recommend a double-jointed bit over a snaffle most times, unless the horse has a known problem with tongue pressure.

SkylarkandWinnie 08-30-2008 10:20 AM

I like French links over single jointed bits as well. It doesn't have the nutcracker action that the single jointed bit does, and it works just as well (in my opinion at least). Last year I was riding Winnie in a jointed kimberwicke and she hated it, and I had no breaks. I switched to a French link d-ring and I have breaks+she likes it. It probably would be worth looking into just to see if your horse goes better in it.

macalicious 08-30-2008 03:57 PM

I love french links, Mac's goes in a french link and it's the best bit I've used on him yet. I prefer double broken bits like that over single broken bits any day, because of the lessened pressure, etc. =3