The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you pay for this service?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-you-pay-service-14102/)

BensBrother 08-29-2008 10:42 PM

Would you pay for this service??

Hi!!

My mother just recently purchased a horse, uhm his name is Ben.
It's been over 25 years since her last horse and she's never been happier!! I'm kind of attached to Ben too.

Anyway back to my topic. She works full time, like most of us, and finds that getting out to clean the corral can be a chore that sometimes gets pushed out til tomorrow, or the next day. The other day she mentioned to me that I should start a corral cleaning business, reality check... a horsie poopie picker upper biz!!

At first I laughed at that idea but after a few days I found I couldn't stop thinking that maybe she's right. Maybe there is a need for a service like that. I have seen them for dogs but not sure if I have ever seen one for horses.

I'd like to get real horse owners input on this. Is this something you would consider if the price for the service was right?

I was thinking a monthy fee, one service call per week, pricing based on how many horses you have, which makes sense since this is about quantity lol.

What would you consider a fair price?

Extra charge for removal?? I know my mother has a ?? honey pit I think she calls it. Do most owners use this method?

Thanks for your time.

JustDressageIt 08-30-2008 12:37 AM

I wish my barn owner took better care of our fields.
A lot of people do push it "till tomorrow" and if the fee was right, I would consider getting it done if I ever own a barn... which I hope to someday!

Broken A Ranch 08-30-2008 01:13 PM

I pay between 10-15 bucks an hour for stall cleaning... so absolutely

FutureVetGirl 08-30-2008 05:28 PM

Personally... I wouldn't... for two reasons:

1. I'd be unsure if it's a good enough job, and if enough good straw/shaving are left behind afterwards, to save money... :P
2. I actually somewhat enjoy mucking out stalls... :oops:

But I know a TON of people who would love to have someone do it for them. People with larger barns of breeding horses or training horses, and who don't mind paying to have it done for them. It could be that they're too far out in the middle of nowhere to hire kids to do it. Or that they don't have any horses that the kids could ride in exchange. And they want someone that is knowledgeable. :D

DashAwayAll 08-31-2008 10:49 AM

Nope. Sorry.