The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help needed ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-needed-141031/)

hmv 10-20-2012 12:04 PM

help needed !

hi we have bought a pony welsh mare 5 years old 15 hh, we went to visit a couple of times and rode her, etc etc even my two year old was on her, no signs of doping etc at all,she jumped great and paced fab, but we have had her since tuesday and she will do everything asked of her but let us get on her back to ride!
she will lunge, rug , groom well behaved etc but nce you attempt to back her she goes round in circles , does everything to stop you and its impossible to ride her!
i have one lady advise she could ve had a back injury but wudnt this of shown when we went t try her? she jumped and rode perfect then!
any advice would be great thanks!
ps she has been put in a field with a large gelding at the livery yard we are at, he was very possessive of her so we have moved her fields from him,?
:?

sinsin4635 10-20-2012 12:21 PM

Was she already saddled when you went to see her? If not, were you able to watch her get saddled?

barrelbeginner 10-20-2012 12:32 PM

mmm.. I agree maybe that is her vice if she was already saddled when you went o look at her.:/

caljane 10-20-2012 01:11 PM

If you are using a different saddle at home you may want to check if something about it bugs her. Also if the gelding was very possessive he might have tried to mount her and injured her back. Good luck!

hmv 10-20-2012 04:28 PM

hi thanks for the repiles .
we did see her unsaddled and we did put saddle on ourselves so dont think that its a vice ,but not ruled it out!
the gelding is very possessive of her and we struggled to separate them, but what would be the long term damage be?
thanks helen

Saddlebag 10-20-2012 05:30 PM

She is testing you. Get someone to hold a front leg up on the same side as whoever is saddling. Once the saddle is on, set the foot down. After a few times of doing this she will learn that she gets to stand on all 4's when the saddle is placed on her back.

barrelbeginner 10-20-2012 05:31 PM

Long term damage In my opinion.. the gelding might end up hurting her..

Might be best to seperate and get his and her problem fixed:)

AshsStorm 10-20-2012 05:55 PM

I'd have a vet rule out an injury/pain before going any further.

Spotted 10-20-2012 06:02 PM

Is it when you step in the stirup ? Is that when she is moving off?
Or is it when she is being saddled

loosie 10-21-2012 06:01 AM

Hi,

Can only speculate without more info.

I too would say pain is a likely reason for her behaviour & I'd want that ruled out/treated ASAP. Wouldn't worry about the gelding, tho it sounds like this not an issue any more anyway. Horses can hurt themselves in the paddock & IMO I'd MUCH rather the occasional chance of injury & let them play & be horses rather than wrap them in cotton wool & keep them separated.

But if she's only like this when you go to ride, saddle fit issues are extremely common. Unless you've had the saddle properly fitted for her(& sometimes even then), it is likely it is too narrow &/or the wrong shape or such for her.

Behavioural reasons are also a possibility. If she's only 5yo, she may not be very solid in her training, may have fear issues with being ridden. She is in a new environment, which may also be a big new stress for her. I have no info about you & other's skill level in handling & riding, but that is a distinct possibility as a cause too.