The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Update for beginner having trouble with English postin (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/update-beginner-having-trouble-english-postin-141051/)

lhamilton22 10-20-2012 03:07 PM

Update for beginner having trouble with English postin

Hi

I want to thank everyone for there advice. I took a Western Saddle lesson today and was only on the lunge line for ten minutes and she wanted to see me post western and no problems, it felt so natural for me versus the english saddle ... also the instructor stated that the instructor I had for english was teaching to much to soon as it is more complicated and was getting me confused but I have to say Loved Western style and was asked if wanted to do western shows in spring as my seating was so natural after only 1 lesson....:lol::lol::lol:

Muppetgirl 10-20-2012 05:03 PM

Good for you! Sometimes it's not the posting part that gets ya, it's the speed at which you trot, if you can slow the trot down to a point where you can post in a more controlled and timed fashion - its much easier to ride to it:-)

tinyliny 10-20-2012 06:10 PM

It can also be that a huntseat type English saddle can make it hard for you to keep your feet under you, and if the horse isn't really pushing through the trot vigorously, it gets hard to post. At least, that's what I find. I can post much easier in either a dressage saddle or a good quality western saddle.

Do whichever is FUN. riding should be fun.

lhamilton22 10-20-2012 07:32 PM

Thank you Tinyliny when you asked in my other post why english...I found some western lessons and it was what I originally wanted to do just not many around here. I had so much fun I felt free when riding Rudy and loved it. I GOT IT :)

Joe4d 10-20-2012 07:54 PM

i wouldnt be to hasty. In the pistol shooting world we call that the "flavor of the week".
Sometimes making a change seems to shake things up and shooters think they have discovered a miracle. But soon things settle back down.
But do what makes you happy, after all this is a hobby and is supposed to be fun.

lhamilton22 10-21-2012 06:16 AM

To Joe4D

Hi

For me its not the flavor of the week its what I was looking for and just took the wrong road the first time. I alway rode a western saddle years ago when I went riding and when I took my first lessons the first thing I thought was that saddle seems kinda funny looking lol its missing the handle. I was not up to speed on the English riding. So know I am in my comfort zone again after years of not riding. I will be sticking with western.. I have always been a cowgirl at heart, English did not feel right to me. It is very beautiful to watch though just not for me.:D

Cacowgirl 10-21-2012 11:52 AM

Isn't it great that we have so much to choose from? Happy trails to you.