The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   7 Parelli Games? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/7-parelli-games-141054/)

LikeaTB 10-20-2012 04:15 PM

7 Parelli Games?

What do y'all think of the 7 Parelli games?

Personally I don't like Parelli that much, but I think the games are great. I find they are good to teach kids groundwork.

I would say more, but I'm at a bit of a brain lock right now...

So what are your thoughts on the 7 games?

Thunderspark 10-21-2012 02:16 PM

I really don't like parelli that much either.....I do follow Clinton Anderson and was a member for about 5yrs. of his club.

justicehorse 10-21-2012 02:18 PM

The games themselves, if done correctly, are wonderful for putting a solid ground foundation on a horse.

Beling 10-21-2012 03:02 PM

I agree with you!

tinyliny 10-21-2012 03:16 PM

you will find that many oldtimers here have had this discussion regarding Parelli many times, so be prepared if they sound jaded about the whole thing. I would be more interested in hearing what YOU, the OP , think about the 7 games and Parelli. If you say you dislike, then why? think about what is bothering you and word it out.

Those of us who have hashed and rehashed this, can we please limit our already fixed views and let the newcomers have their time here. IT's new to them and I am very interested in hearing what they have to say.

I am not saying don't post here if you have already had this discussion, but don't try to cut them off with the "we have already done this one" argument.

Thunderspark 10-21-2012 04:11 PM

I wasn't saying I didn't think it would work.....I just didn't like how it was done, we had the parelli DVDs and we found them hard to figure out......LOL I guess I am an old timer :)

equiniphile 10-21-2012 07:00 PM

I think they're okay.....to a certain extent. A lot of it seems like common sense to me. Most of the Parelli horses I see have been 7-gamed to death, and at that point, the games aren't doing anything positive for them anymore.

The 7 games aren't harmful if you do them very minimally and don't let the horse get bored of the constant repitition.

LikeaTB 10-21-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1726901)
you will find that many oldtimers here have had this discussion regarding Parelli many times, so be prepared if they sound jaded about the whole thing. I would be more interested in hearing what YOU, the OP , think about the 7 games and Parelli. If you say you dislike, then why? think about what is bothering you and word it out.

Those of us who have hashed and rehashed this, can we please limit our already fixed views and let the newcomers have their time here. IT's new to them and I am very interested in hearing what they have to say.

I am not saying don't post here if you have already had this discussion, but don't try to cut them off with the "we have already done this one" argument.

About Parelli, the main reason I don't like him that much is what I've heard about him. I know, not a good reason, but multiple people have said that people who strictly use his training program have disrespectful and mean horses. Any anyways, I prefer to use a blend of methods and take a bit from everyone to 'tailor' to a horse's needs.

The reason I like the games so much is because they're really good for teaching kids the basics of groundwork. No, they're not good to use all the time, but if you're a newcomer to groundwork, they can teach you some good methods and teach you how to do some basic groundwork. With the kids in summer camps, we usually just do the first 3 or 4 (friendly, porcupine, driving, yoyo) and save the more advanced games for the advanced camp (squeeze, circling, sideways).

Shropshirerosie 10-21-2012 11:12 PM

I've seen the pro and anti Parelli arguments many many times, but actually I don't have any idea what the 7 games consist of - anyone care to enlighten me (with the shortened version)?

tinyliny 10-22-2012 01:28 AM

she listed them in the post above you, though I don't know what each and every one is.

I have some friends who do Parelli. One is pretty good, andthe other is very good. Done correctly, they are a nice foundation to learning how to teach ground manners and more. However, I think one of the reasons that so many people have a negative experience with horses trained by Parelli people is that so many people dont' do them correctly.

The other thing is that students can get so caught up in what THEY do, in as far as how they do each game and whether or not they will go up a level and such, that they lose sight of the horse itself, and why they do what they do and how to actually use these skills in real life. it gets to be a bit of the "can't see the forest for the trees" type of situation.