The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When do you realize enough is enough? -getting rid of a horse- (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-do-you-realize-enough-enough-141059/)

Cowgirls Boots 10-20-2012 05:19 PM

When do you realize enough is enough? -getting rid of a horse-

125 Attachment(s)
As some may know about my one eyed pony and how I got her in less then disierable (sp?) condition. I've made a pact with myself that I will keep her til her last days. I think I owe her that.

I also have a 6 year old App gelding who I got from a broker who got him from Camelot. He was advertised as 'beginner safe' and stupid me getting back into having my own horse bought him even though I knew very possibly that he wasn't 'the one' and definitely needed more training then I could provide.

I love him to death, really I do. But currently he's sat in my field for a year now just hanging out. I also got him in less then good condition. I don't ride him because he's terrified of everything and it isn't small spooks. It's like cutting horse spooks where he jumps to the side and it kinda looks like he's working cows. :lol:

Recently I've been having the thought of finding him a new home but have guilty feelings about it. That horse could be something amazing in hands that could train a horse. I for one, am in no position to train a green bean. I've been riding since I was 3 on and off and I'm 18 now. I still have confidence issues. I know I can work with him and my trainer and make him out to be something amazing but between time, money, and my own anxiety issues I don't think I'm in any position to train a horse right now.

I feel seriously bad to the point where I make myself cry over it. If I was rich hell yeah I'd send him off to training or try to make it work but I don't even feel like I have a solid 'heart horse' connection with him.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to get rid of him but he needs someone who can work with him and be a good match with him. I'm upset just trying to post this right now. :/

Sorry guys..just needed to talk and let that out. If anyone wants to chime in..feel free.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 10-20-2012 05:29 PM

Well, he might just be a perfect match for someone else. your not always going to jive with every horse you come across. Sometimes it's better to give them up then to make the two of you miserable. As much as you love your horse, you need to ask yourself would you be happier and would he be happier. Doesn't mean that your bad, just means your looking out for his and yours best interest. Don't feal guilty.

Cowgirls Boots 10-20-2012 05:48 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I know id be happier finding him the 'perfect' home rather then me keep him as a huge pet in my field. Don't get me wrong though. He never goes without any care. He's still fed, utd on shots and farrier work. I just don't feel like right now I'm in the position to train him. It's just going to be hard to find that home. I am in no rush, hell ill even free lease him and take him back if anything ever came up. But the situation just isn't fitting together as on right now. I love him to death but I feel like he could really be something with some training and someone else's best friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-20-2012 06:16 PM

Maybe see if your trainer would take him and train him and sell him for you, deduct the costs and if any profit, split it with you? Otherwise, 'free to good home'. Horses are like people, you won't always click with every single one. Some will become your BFF, others you'll have a good 'working relationship' with and others.....well, some just need to move along. It's perfectly ok and normal.

Country Woman 10-20-2012 07:27 PM

Hope you find the proper home for your Appy

Cowgirls Boots 10-20-2012 07:32 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I don't know if I can bring myself to do it is the problem. I've almost feel like I've given up on him even though I haven't. It's just very hard but I feel confident in saying I'm sure he could make another person very happy. He's got a heart of gold and a puppy dog personality.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-20-2012 11:25 PM

Would you marry the class nerd just because it would hurt his feelings if you didn't?

DimSum 10-20-2012 11:29 PM

Sorry if you've answered this before but have you had him checked for moon blindness? Appys are prone to it and this could be the root of his spookiness. Anyway, don't feel bad if you decide you have to move him along, sometimes it's the best thing for both you and the horse.

Joe4d 10-21-2012 08:38 AM

"its a hobby, its supposed to be fun, if it aint fun you need a new horse or a new hobby,"

Spoken to me by a friend after a year of fighting with an Appaloosa trying to get him to walk and having yet another trail ride ruined.

This was followed by, "joe you havent had a fun weekend since you bought that horse.". One day to cool off and the next day he was on craiglslist and sold in a couple days for the same reason I bought him,,,, he was a beautiful blue Appaloosa. I'll never again buy a horse for color, bought a plain jane brown TWH for a quarter the price that is ten times the horse.

Cowgirls Boots 10-21-2012 08:59 AM

125 Attachment(s)
I had thought about the blindness thing and had asked the vet and she said he ain't blind. So, who knows! I think he's just a big scardy cat. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device