The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Sore back (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sore-back-141083/)

Lexiie 10-20-2012 10:17 PM

Sore back

I'm looking into getting a half pad. I really want a gel one because they seem to be way nicer/more comfortable than just the normal ones.

One of my fellow boarders is a massage therapist. For people, not horses. But muscles are still muscles. She recommended a gel pad, because there's more shock absorption than just extra padding.

I can't go really expensive. At all. Does anyone know of any good brands?

jumanji321 10-20-2012 10:20 PM

Are you sure your saddle fits?

Lexiie 10-20-2012 10:20 PM

Just to add

I can't get something thick. My saddles are not too big. Granted, they don't fit perfectly, but no saddle ever can. Horse's change, just like us

Dura-Tech® Anti-Slip Support Gel Half Pad with Sheepskin in Protective at Schneider Saddlery

^has anyone used/know anything about this pad? I like it since it's thin and gel.

Lexiie 10-20-2012 10:26 PM

sorry double post

Lexiie 10-20-2012 10:45 PM

Equine Comfort Products Wool Classic Half Pad - Half Pads from SmartPak Equine

or maybe that one?
After speaking to a friend, I found out that gel isn't good unless your saddle fits perfectly.

The place that she's sore is directly where I sit. It's not her spine, it's only the muscle.

toosexy4myspotz 10-20-2012 10:49 PM

if i am correct on this the muscle being sore would be because the channel is too wide for your horses spine and what you are actually doing is pulling the muscles away and will eventually tear the muscles. this will eventually leave you with a horse that has a direct spinal column protruding that cannot be ridden.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 10-20-2012 10:54 PM

Hm.. I think the vet would have told me that
But I could be wrong

jumanji321 10-20-2012 11:02 PM

Is the vet a qualified saddle fitter? Most vets only have limited knowledge in saddle fitting. It's very possible the vet either did not catch a saddle issue or does not know enough to catch a saddle issue if there is one.

Lexiie 10-20-2012 11:06 PM

That's true.

If this was happening then wouldn't it run the whole length of the saddle? Not just a 2 or 3 inch wide spot?

Lexiie 10-20-2012 11:07 PM

Wouldn't a saddle have to be way huge to do that? O.o That seems like such a weird thing, and an awkward place for pressure to be