The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   C.A. disappointment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/c-disappointment-1411/)

greg 04-02-2007 06:42 PM

C.A. disappointment

Just wanted to tell anyone contemplating going to a C.A. clinic to beware. I just attended one in Northern California and it was disgusting. The first day was OK but the second day was all about selling products. Then the "superstar" launched into a rant that drove at least 300 people right out the doors. He began by saying that it would make people mad but he "needed" to speak about it for about 5 minutes.I walked out after 25 and he was still going. So much for a training clinic. So, save yourself the time, effort and money and just buy some dvds if you like his methods.

kristy 04-02-2007 08:59 PM

What was he ranting about?

TxHorseMom 04-04-2007 02:31 AM

Wow, I'm really surprized! I went to his clinic in Waco, Tx in Nov and LOVED IT!!!! I hope to go to another one this year. I know he has been known to offend what he calls "tree huggers" but I totally agree with his philosophy. As gentle as possible, as firm as necessary.

I am curious too, what was he ranting about?

luckyshoes06 04-06-2007 09:41 AM

I know someone who has rode with him before and they said he jerks his horses really hard to try and get them to give. The only thing he really does well is stuff on the ground and I guess a lot of people who have sent their horses there were disguisted and really upset. I also looked at his website once and there was a halter that had two knots in it and he said it was so much better than a regular halter and how good the knots in the nose made it. I know he is respected by a lot of people, I personally haven't seen him work with anyone and don't know if he is good or not. I just haven't heard good things about him.

PaintedQH 04-08-2007 09:25 PM

Ya what was his big rant about? :?:

barnrat 04-08-2007 11:01 PM

is this clinton anderson? I would like to know how people like him and how people dis like him...

Raini 04-09-2007 10:35 PM

Not a big fan of Clinton myself. He's a dork. I don't like the way he trains or rides really. None of it ever clicks for me. I've read some really ridiculous articles about getting on the bit and such. I've seen him whack a horse in the face and push him around. So much for natural horsemanship. It's not about bossing the horse around. I don't agree with much of his training or his clinic methods.

TxHorseMom 04-12-2007 01:38 AM

It's not about wacking a horse, or bossing the horse around. It's about respect. What people don't understand is that in a herd, they are "disciplined" by other herd members much, MUCH worse than anything CA does, or you or I could do. Just yesterday, one of my horses (950lb QH) was "picking on another"horse. Well, he got the crap kicked out of him by a 1250lb draft horse, with shoes!! :shock: He had one slight slice on him from the shoes and thats it. :shock: There is NO WAY I could inflict that much discipline to any of my horses. I'm just not strong enough. Because of that, they MUST respect me, or I'm in big trouble. Horses are big and can be dangerous. I recommend seeing his ground training videos. He can explain it much better than I can. But he does sum it up like this. As gentle as possible, as tough as necessary. (paraphrasing here)

kristy 04-12-2007 01:48 AM

Not all horses react this way. It takes a simple look, pin of the ears, lift of the foot, stomp, bare of teeth, or threat with the back end for another horse to take the hint. 9 times out of 10, these behaviors are demonstrated as opposed to a full fledged kick. Just MHO.
And personally, I wouldn't have my horses that were most conflicting together and with shoes on their back feet. I would either separate them, turn them out at different times or pull the back shoes. The point is, avoid such a possibly dangerous situation.
Out curiosity, why does your draft have shoes anyway?

TxHorseMom 04-12-2007 01:54 AM

No they don't always act that way. My point was what they could do(and will do) to each other. He was being a goober and deserved it actually.

They both have shoes on because they are used for Mounted Patrol and MUST be shod for work. The ones with shoes are seperated from the ones not shod. Usually they get along fine with each other, but Duke was being a poop head that day!