The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Which thickness of rug? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thickness-rug-141122/)

AnnaT 10-21-2012 07:40 AM

Which thickness of rug?

Not sure if this is the right forum, hopefully it is...
But anyway.
I am getting Harry clipped in the next week or so. He's getting a full clip with the exception of his legs and face so I was going to get him a new full neck rug.
I have a choice of:

Rhinegold Aspen Heavyweight COMBO NECK COVER winter turnout Outdoor Rug
This rug has a 1000 denier outer and super warm 350g lined polyfil.

or

The Weatherbeeta Genero Combo Medium is a medium weight rug with a 220g Polyfill lining.

I have a sort of light-medium weight indoor with no neck which is all he wore last winter but he wasn't clipped last winter and he was pretty snug. Which I could put on underneath if I got the lighter one.
He has a big hairy mane so my thinking is, get the lighter one and if it gets really cold I can put on the indoor underneath or if it gets like ice-age cold I have the Masta Aztex Medium High Neck Turnout Rug which is 200g/8oz thermal and pretty heavy. I just don't want him getting too warm on really odd warm days and being stuck with only a mega heavy rug for him.

What do you guys think?

poppy1356 10-21-2012 08:52 AM

If he's getting clipped you should have several blankets with different weights and you also need a spare incase one needs washing or repair. You can't have him not have a blanket. How cold does it get there? The manufactors should have a chart for what weight you would need.

gypsygirl 10-21-2012 09:15 AM

i would personally get a lite weight, a medium weight, and a heavy weight.

i believe weatherbeeta generos are only 600D so i would cross that off your list, 1000D is much better !