The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Too Good To Be True? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/too-good-true-14113/)

QuarterPony 08-30-2008 11:12 AM

Too Good To Be True?

Hello!

Okay, I've been looking for a truck for my boyfriend as a present, since his current pickup is a rusty piece of crud. I also had wanted to get a larger trailer, since right now I only have a simple two horse, and I feel really bad having my friend take half my driving team with her wherever we go! (She has a 4-horse...I have a 2-horse...I kinda have 4 horse driving team? :P)

Anyway, I totally stopped looking for a trailer when I found how much trucks cost. I'm simply not a car-girl, obviously! Plus with two babies on the way, and a boarding stable, we're a little crunched on money, so the cost of a truck makes my eyes pop out of my head a wee bit. ;)

But then a man, let's call him "Bob," came along. Bob owns several horses that board here. He and I are friends, but he doesn't really talk to me, so I was quite surprised when, yesterday, he approached me and asked about my truck-and/or-trailer-hunt. I told him it was currently on standstill, and he told me that he had an offer...

Bob has a red Ford pickup that hauls his *20-horse* trailer with much ease. He gets 8MPG even with that load of a thing loaded. The truck, from what I picked up, runs diesel (of course...*sigh*), and something about it's engine being three times the size of a car's? I don't know. My boyfriend figured out all the truck stuff. hehe

He doesn't want the truck anymore, since he already has one, so he'd sell it for just $1,500, since he knows we're in that "crunch."

That's not all. He doesn't need his 20-horse anymore, either. He'd give it to us for $500. It's Aluminum, has room for 20, (not including foals ;)) moveable stall dividers, and is all around in great shape--other than being dirty. I've check the entire thing; it looks wonderful, I suppose--not the shiny white box-on-wheels with indoor-tack-room and sleeping area with built-in-cross-ties and comes with rubber-mats dream trailer I'd LOVE, but very nice indeed.

Cole says that the truck is just as great. I don't know, of course, but I'll take his word.

My question is--after all this endless talk, I know!--do you think it's too good to be true?

Thanks,

Maggie

DashAwayAll 08-30-2008 12:55 PM

Year?
Miles?
Inspected?
And 8 mph is gonna cost you a fortune.

You could aways make it a 4 horse trailer and customize the other space into living quarters.

NorthernMama 08-30-2008 01:01 PM

Hmmm... does sound suspicious doesn't it. However, there are some good souls out there who will do such things. Is there a way to check the ownership of the truck & trailer? In Ontario, we can do a lien search for $20. I would do that. If all comes clean, have a mechanic you trust check it out. What does it need for safety inspection? And 8 MPG is not great for a diesel. There is probably something that needs replacing, tuning, whatever. Maybe a simple fuel filter - or could be the injection pump, though I doubt it. That would make it not run at all, or lose power, or run rough. If it is the injection pump, your looking at $1000 for the part alone.

BTW, diesel is great! I only buy diesel now. Esp. with the price of fuel what it is.

DashAwayAll 08-30-2008 01:17 PM

Wait a sec... this is for your boyfriend?
Oh, no no no.** wags finger at Qtpony** Let him buy his own truck. Buy a truck to haul in for yourself! :wink:

He won't thank you for such a gas hog anyway.

DashAwayAll 08-30-2008 01:18 PM

Sorry, tried to edit and quoted myself. :oops:

booner 08-30-2008 01:27 PM

Oh Dashawayall I just noticed your siggy line OMG LOL

Maggie I try to look at the good in all folks, so my only advice is make sure its worth what hes asking.Drive the truck, pull the trailer.Ask questions,but for the price even if theres flaws its probably worth it.If your gonna use it to travel to shows or events and not a commuter vehicle then I wouldnt fret on mileage.And if he does have another truck etc, he is just being a really nice guy offering it to you fo cheap.Hope its NOT 'to good to be true', best of luck either way.

claireauriga 08-30-2008 02:36 PM

8mpg. Someone would drive something that only got 8mpg? O_O

QuarterPony 08-30-2008 02:38 PM

Thanks to you all!

I'm going out to drive it now... If I don't get the truck I'll just buy the trailer and let my boyfriend find his truck. I rarely drive, anyway, so what do I care?

Thanks again!

m

QuarterPony 08-30-2008 02:45 PM

claireaurgia, it gets 8MPG when it's hauling 20 horses. It gets 15MPG without that...and I don't even know if I'm going to get the truck, anyway.

claireauriga 08-30-2008 03:59 PM

Okay, so 15 mpg US is 18 mpg UK, which is what a typical lorry will get ... I'm guessing a 20-horse trailer is about as big as a lorry so maybe it's not so bad. But the numbers shocked me ... I'm used to hearing 60-70 mpg as a good value for a typical car xD