The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Stupid Dog Laws... ARGH... (rant) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/stupid-dog-laws-argh-rant-14115/)

FutureVetGirl 08-30-2008 12:50 PM

Stupid Dog Laws... ARGH... (rant)

Ok... so... we've been having some trouble with our dog in the past few weeks. We've had some complaints (even though it's the neighbors' dog that barks all the time, not ours), and so we've done our best to fix everything up. During this time, we've realized that just recently they've put up new laws about dogs:

1. EVERY dog must have a microchip
2. EVERY dog owner's fence must say: "Beware of Dog"
3. EVERY dog owner has to have a "cage"/"kennel" for their dog, and it has to be approved.
4. EVERY dog has to have a muzzle if he/she is going to be walked anywhere.
5. Dogs must be on a leash at ALL times, unless the dog is in private property.

And those are all that I know of at the moment. URGH... we've had to do so much so soon. I can understand each and every one of these new laws... but I wish that the government gave everybody a bit of a warning before enforcing it all.

So, we went to the vet, and got her a microchip (I now call her robo-mutt). We got a "beware of dog" sign for our gate. We had our yard checked out, to see if it would count as a dog run/kennel, and it does. And we got our dog a muzzle.

The muzzle's the biggest thing. My dog has NEVER worn one in her entire life, except for the string things around her mouth when at the vet. So now, here she is, with a muzzle on and a leash on (which she pulls my arm off normally), and she keeps looking at me like I'm killing her, and stopping constantly to try and get it off. She needs to get used to it... but ARGH. It's so annoying! Why should WE have to worry about OUR dog when people have all of these little pekignese nightmares running around, snarling at everyone? It's just frustrating...

We used to be able to let our dog run around next to the river, at the park... but now I don't think that we'll be allowed to. Unless she has the muzzle on, and a leash. Which means that she can't just drink the water, and play in the water, because I'll be constantly worried that she'll get the muzzle caught on something, and then that I'll have to get her out of the mess. But if we take OFF the muzzle... we'll get in trouble. *sigh*

At least we now have a place out in the country where we can take her... if she'll get used to cars... :roll:

I'm hoping that I can get her used to horses so that we can go on rides together... like that'll happen any time soon... ARGH... :roll: :x

Oh well... sorry for the rant... I just had to get that out of my system...

Remali 08-31-2008 04:05 PM

While I can understand a couple of them being required (such as being on a leash), I don't understand a required muzzle......unless the dog is a known biter. Otherwise that makes no sense....sure is quite strict over there.

Cat 08-31-2008 04:19 PM

Considering the total lack of control - even onleash - I've seen some people have over their dogs, I can understand the need for a muzzle. However, they should give you some time to comply with new laws. And I think those laws should apply to large and small dogs alike. The one time I was bit by a dog it was by one of those small ankle-biters. They hurt!

I also wish these laws applied to my neighbor's dog. Stupid thing is deaf and they use that as an excuse for bad behavior. I've had no problem with any of the neighborhood dogs except that one. He comes over and goes after the horses and loves to bark and growl at me. I complain to his owners and they just shrug and say "other dogs run and he's deaf." Yeah, but the other dogs are behaving themselves and don't threaten other people!

FutureVetGirl 08-31-2008 05:56 PM

I have no idea. The closest Tasha has EVER gotten to biting anyone was when my little brother stuck his hand in her food bowl (our dog was young and didn't know better at that time), while she was having some of her favorite leftovers meal. He lost only a couple drops of blood. It wasn't even a real bite.

But EVERY dog (big and small) is required to wear a muzzle when on walks. I can understand it... because over half of the dogs that they "walk" are dogs that would bite people in an instant (tiny dogs as well as big dogs), but I wish that they would let people know, instead of as soon as they're a little complain from someone, crack down on the law with just one person. :roll: And it only seems to be the big dogs that people get mad about... not those dangerous little demons that are otherwise known as pekignese...

Other people do nothing with their dogs. We're following the law... but it's still frustrating. I'm hoping to take Tasha on a walk in a day or two to help her get used to the muzzle. *sigh*

horsey*kisses 08-31-2008 06:06 PM

:shock: wut? those laws dont make any sense at all well some of them do such as the microchip and the beware of dog but the rest are kind of...stupid...honestly
a kennel or cage??? what!? ok maybe that translates to backyard or place to keep them, nevermind then lol
a muzzle while they are walking?? ok first of all if your dog bites someone on a walk then why are you taking them on a walk?
and the leash thing thats weird, if your dog stays by you why do u need a leash? its a waste its like carrying around a parka in the Sahara desert in June at 3.00 pm :roll:
well i guess every state is different and some people trip over thier own power
im sorry about those laws thats rediculous but i guess everything happens for a reason
good luck

Snapple122 08-31-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

and the leash thing thats weird, if your dog stays by you why do u need a leash? its a waste its like carrying around a parka in the Sahara desert in June at 3.00 pm
seriously?
And what happens if your dog goes bolting off after another dog, or after a person?
the leash laws are everywhere

horsey*kisses 08-31-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapple122
Quote:

and the leash thing thats weird, if your dog stays by you why do u need a leash? its a waste its like carrying around a parka in the Sahara desert in June at 3.00 pm
seriously?
And what happens if your dog goes bolting off after another dog, or after a person?
the leash laws are everywhere

true ok let me reprhase then, if your dog is trained to stay at your side at all times then my cousins dog is like that she never leaves my cousins side even if called

Snapple122 08-31-2008 06:19 PM

well, I mean, if your dog stays at your side at all times.. even when it is distracted by another dog or something.. then I guess that would be ok, but most dogs would probably chase after something if they were not on a leash

horsey*kisses 08-31-2008 09:08 PM

yea most dogs would but i mean if you have a dog like that then a leash is kind of...a burden i guess you could say

Gingerrrrr 08-31-2008 09:09 PM

the new laws dont sound unreasonable