The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Starting my three year old... (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/starting-my-three-year-old-141150/)

Thunderspark 10-21-2012 02:24 PM

Starting my three year old...

Hi I have a three year old sorrel gelding that was born here (my mare's) and he's had ground work done with him since day one. A very good friend of mine is also working with him, he uses a saddle and bit on him where I use the halter and bareback pad with him.
This past week he finally had the light bulb go off in his head as to what I wanted him to do when I squeezed my legs! For about a week he had only been taking a couple of steps, stopping and flexing, then he took about 10 steps but the other day he walked off and around the round pen with me on him for the first time! He was totally relaxed and kept putting his ears back listening to me.......after I got him to go around a couple times I video taped him and I'm quite proud of my little man :)
Here's a link to the video I took on the 16th with him......

Thunderspark 10-21-2012 02:27 PM

Here's a video of my friend Lukas working with Street on the 19th with the saddle/bridle

tinyliny 10-21-2012 03:31 PM

nice horse and looks like you are doing some good training.

Thunderspark 10-21-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks tinyliny!
I'm in no rush with him, I have 3 other riding horses so we're just taking our time with him.

loosie 10-26-2012 12:07 AM

Hi, Yes, pretty boy & all looks good. ;-) Glad you're not in a hurry though, because I don't believe you should be doing much on the back of a youngster, only very light work & especially with saddle & heavier riders.

Thunderspark 10-26-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1733222)
Hi, Yes, pretty boy & all looks good. ;-) Glad you're not in a hurry though, because I don't believe you should be doing much on the back of a youngster, only very light work & especially with saddle & heavier riders.

No we're not in a hurry with him, he is still young and I know alot of people start their's at 2 but to me that is too young. Even now at 3, he's still got alot of growing to do.....we only do light work with him in the round pen, 15 to 20 mins. at the most with someone on him.....he's too precious to me to ruin him LOL

JMims 11-08-2012 09:18 AM

Pretty boy!! Good job :)

Thunderspark 11-08-2012 11:21 PM

Thanks everyone, I think he's going to make a good trail horse like his Mom! He's sensitive but responsive and seems very quick to pick up on new things.....I love that little guy!

LisaG 11-11-2012 12:59 AM

Nice work. That horse looks pretty relaxed.

I've been working on a three young ones for the last year and a half. I was going to start them when they were two, but ended up doing lots of groundwork, for the most part. I ended up starting them as three-year-olds. They seem much calmer than they were a year ago. I'm sure that's partly from being handled, but I don't think waiting until they're three hurts at all, in the long run (and isn't that what it's all about).

So, yeah, I see nothing wrong with taking it slow.

Thunderspark 11-11-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaG (Post 1753035)
Nice work. That horse looks pretty relaxed.

I've been working on a three young ones for the last year and a half. I was going to start them when they were two, but ended up doing lots of groundwork, for the most part. I ended up starting them as three-year-olds. They seem much calmer than they were a year ago. I'm sure that's partly from being handled, but I don't think waiting until they're three hurts at all, in the long run (and isn't that what it's all about).

So, yeah, I see nothing wrong with taking it slow.

Street is a good boy, he was born to my mare here so he's been handled since he was born which I think makes a big difference sometimes in some horses getting started. Sometimes waiting that year they seem to mature a little bit too.

Street is such a character when he's out in the pasture, bugs everyone else! Once he gets his halter on he behaves very well. We're hoping come spring we can start him out on the trails, so he will probably have the winter off, too much snow to slip in to work with him.

My friend and I were training horses here a couple years ago and you wouldn't believe how many two year olds came in for training! Some of them looked way too small.......most of them were put out in pasture till they were 3 though.