The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Possibly moving barns (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/possibly-moving-barns-141161/)

DraftyAiresMum 10-21-2012 04:57 PM

Possibly moving barns

Okay, so tomorrow I will be paying off Aires (YAY) and I can move him if I so choose. Right now, I'm paying $275 per month for full care board (BO cleans his stall usually twice a week, changes his water out and feeds him alfalfa twice a day, but if I want him turned out, I either have to do it or I have to ask my best friend to do it), but because I don't get paid until the 5th and my other paycheck is for rent, I end up paying the $25 late fee, so basically I pay $300 a month. This was fine when I lived less than two miles away from the barn and was out there almost every day. Now, I live in a different town that is about 13 miles from the barn and, because of my work schedule, hardly ever get out to see him, much less ride or work with him (my amazing best friend has been helping me out A LOT in that department).

So, I'm thinking about changing barns to somewhere closer to me. There are three places I'm looking at, which I will call Ranch A, B, and C.

Ranch A is a small place that is 2.3 miles from my house. Aires would be in an outdoor stall about the same size he's in now with shelter on one end (so about 15ft by 30ft). His water would be filled/changed daily and he would be fed three times a day, grass or alfalfa, my choice, and he'd be turned out at least three times a week. They have a barn, but the stalls are TINY and they're a bit...cobbled together (the place looks run down with a fresh coat of red and white paint slapped on it). They do have a VERY nice dressage-size arena that is graded at least once a week and they have horse shows during the summer. They also have immediate access to plenty of trails. Board here would be $185 a month.

Ranch B is another small outfit that is about 2.5 miles from my house. Aires would be in an outdoor stall with shade on one end, but it would be considerably larger (somewhere around 20ft by 50ft if I remember correctly...one of my friends used to board here). They feed twice a day, only alfalfa. They have a large lighted arena and round pen, however it would be a much longer ride to trails along back roads (in a small, horse-oriented town...but Aires is green). This is a semi-areal pic of their facility and their Craigslist ad: Horse Boarding Board here would be $225 a month.

Ranch C is another small outfit that is less than two miles from my house. Aires would have an outdoor stall with shade, similar to what he is in now, however he would be out running the five, fully-fenced acres the owners have with the rest of their herd most of the time (they have five geldings that he would run with, along with two mares in foal and two studs...the studs have their own time that they get outside). He would be fed twice a day and it would be a mix of grass and alfalfa, along with supplements (whatever they feed their horses, who are in amazing condition). The owners train all the horse for the Arizona Rangers and the father used to ride third level dressage in England and Germany and also did eventing. Their horses are all extremely well-trained and they would be willing to work with Aires for me on a daily basis (just small, general things, like bathing in the stocks, etc.). They also do their own hoof trimming and vaccinations and would be willing to do both for me (for a small cost, but definitely cheaper than the farrier and/or vet). The way they train reminds me a lot of Clinton Anderson. They do not have an arena, but they do have a very nice round pen. They also have good access to trails. This is their website: FIRESKY RANCH, INC. - Home They haven't given me a firm number on board yet, but it would be between $200-250.

So, were you me, which ranch would you choose?

Cacowgirl 10-21-2012 05:37 PM

Well, I think Ranch C is an awesome option. I like that you can pay your bill online (w/a C. card) if you want to. Just make sure it's not too structured for you & would you have access on Sundays? Said it was closed on Sun. None of them sound bad, though, & the prices are quite reasonable. Glad to hear that the horse is now all yours-so nice to retire a bill.

churumbeque 10-21-2012 05:37 PM

They all sound decent, number b had a nice set up, C didn't have any pictures of the place on the web so can't compare b to a or c.

DraftyAiresMum 10-21-2012 05:42 PM

Cacowgirl, I would have access on Sundays as a boarder, but I hardly ever go out on Sundays anyway (I work every other Sunday and the Sundays I'm not working, I do the church and family thing). Forgot to mention that Ranch C would clean my stall daily and do my water for me. Ranch B is a self clean place, but I believe they'll fill your water if it's low. Where I'm at now, if you don't have full care board and the BO has to mess with your water or stall, he charges you (even my best friend who does trail rides for him, who he is supposed to be paying, but isn't...she has pneumonia and hasn't been able to get out to clean her stalls).

churumbeque, Ranch C is basically five acres enclosed by 6-foot chain link fencing with a long barn (VERY nice barn) where the studs and the geldings are kept, two outdoor stalls for the broodmares (they are only there temporarily), the two-story house, and a few sheds for tack and such.

I would be keeping my tack at home, regardless of which ranch I choose.

kcyoung 10-22-2012 05:16 AM

If it's all about the money, option A.

Prinella 10-22-2012 07:11 AM

I like c. Sound really open. The only thing that would deter me is no arena.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 10-22-2012 11:11 AM

kcyoung, it's not all about money. It's also about Aires getting the proper care when I'm not there, him being comfortable, me being comfortable with where he's at (right now, he's on a large property with 60 other horses and he's pretty much the most visible horse there because of where his stall is and because of his coloring...this translates into people messing with him all the time...my best friend caught someone trying to feed him coffee last year), him being closer to me, and it being less expensive than where I'm at now. Right now, he gets two flakes of alfalfa morning and night and a scoop of alfalfa/bermuda mix pellets for lunch. I would much prefer him getting grass hay, but the BO where I'm at now charges extra to feed grass hay, even if you provide it (and your board doesn't go down if you buy your own feed).

Prinella, that's kind of what's making me hesitant about Ranch C as well. However, I have a friend who boards at Ranch A and I was going to ask them if I could use their arena for a small fee every month.

caseymyhorserocks 10-28-2012 07:30 PM

A or C- leaning towards ranch C because of the turnout. I would say no on ranch B because it doesn't say anything about turnout.

DraftyAiresMum 10-28-2012 11:26 PM

Casey, ranch B figures that since their stalls are fairly large, the horses don't really need turnout.
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 10-30-2012 08:01 PM

Well.. if I regularly rode my horse, the smallest turnout I would go for is 75x20. 20x50 is too small for a horse to exercise. Now, reading it over, I would go for boarding place C but stilll keep A in mind if C doesn't work out.