The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need Help with Ground Work (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-ground-work-141169/)

newbie1990 10-21-2012 06:25 PM

Need Help with Ground Work

I'm completely new to this. I recently inheirited a 23 year old QH. He's pretty stubborn, but is very calm and not spooky. I'm not sure how much/how he was trained before and I'm nervous to do much with him without some advice from someone with more experience... Is there anything specific that I should be doing with him as far as training him for trail riding?

alexislauzon 10-21-2012 07:15 PM

Hi :) for starters... i'd start with gaining respect and trust. there are so many ways to go about it, and it's all ground work:) lots of videos on youtube that are very helpful. you also might want to find out his background/history from before you got him... it could give you some answers:) seek out someone who is willing and had the time to show you things you can do with your QH.. possibilties are endless! and hands on work helps a lot better than over the internet:) good luck!

Saddlebag 10-21-2012 08:11 PM

What was his background. You may have nothing to worry about. They are usually pretty mellow by that age. If he ran barrels then he may want to go even tho he's getting too old for that. If pleasure trained he'll have nice walk, trot, canter. He may be pretty trail wise already.

Bellasmom 10-21-2012 08:25 PM

In another thread you said this horse was a stallion.....if that is the case, the FIRST thing you should do is geld him. The last thing a novice needs is a stallion, no matter how "calm" he is.

tinyliny 10-21-2012 08:29 PM

Since you are not sure, it might be good to have another more experience rider help you assess this horse's personality and skill level. Just a time or two to get you confidenc e. It is very hard to explain what one might do with a hrose that they don't know very well, in order to feel out where it "is" mentally.
But , take hope. if the horse is well trained, once you get the feel of minor ground handling skills, you can probably start riding and learn grounwork and such along the way, as youneed it, if you need it.