The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   suggetions on equine dentist (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/suggetions-equine-dentist-141172/)

alichawhittaker 10-21-2012 07:25 PM

suggetions on equine dentist

Hello we have a 12 year mare that is new to us and she started tossing her head and throwing her head acting like a crazy fool. I have ridden her a few times and she has acted up but nothing like this so after getting off her I went to take the bit out and he about ripped my arm off so I tried looking in her mouth which she was not going to allow me. so I called the vet and he wanted close to 300.00 for floating so I spoke to a neighbor that trains horses that uses a equine dentist and he is very reasonable so I called him and he comes out to your place and sedates and does what needs to be done for 75.00, he has done lots of his horses and clients horses but after talking to a few people they say stay away from equine dentists they can ruin your horses mouth so they cannot eat hay ever again which Iam terrified because the guy is coming in morning. doe any one have any positive experience with a equine dentist?

Taffy Clayton 10-21-2012 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my equine dentist, but he is also a DVM. I would not have a dentist that was not a DVM. The dentist that is coming to you tomorrow should be a DVM if he is sedating your horse. If he is not a DVM and he is sedating your horse it is against the law to administer meds without a license. So run if he wants to and is not a DVM. Sometimes a dentist will bring a DVM with them to sedate the horse.

The $75 might sound cheap but sometimes that is just the beginning of the price, sometimes a dentist will charge for every little thing, i.e. $30 for a wave, $25 for a bit seat, $40 for points, $100 for an extraction, can add up fast.

I think most of the problems dentists get into are the material the drills bits are made of, I think they should be made of porcelain, I think.
I would look at how many drills your dentist has, does he have only one drill and has to change bits all the time? Sure sign of a beginner. My dentist has about 10 drills and each one has a different bit.

In this photo all the green and yellow hoses are connected to his dills and bits, he charges $175 for everything including sedation.

tealamutt 10-22-2012 09:52 AM

You get what you pay for. For an equine dentist, the $75 guy is awfully cheap. Also, if he is sedating your horse, he is doing so illegally. He obtained the drugs illegally and his use of them is against the law. Not only that but he will not have insurance to cover him if something goes wrong, nor will an owner's insurance cover anything. Will he have the right drugs and knowledge of what to do should your horse have a reaction to the sedation? My guess is at $75 dollars and no medical degree... probably not.

Sure $300 is a lot of money, no matter what your financial situation. But how much is your horse's health and well being, as well as your own safety (if you'll be present during the float) worth to you? I think equine dentists are amazing and for many horses, the only way to go. But if your dentist is not also a veterinarian you're taking a huge risk.

alichawhittaker 10-22-2012 09:57 AM

I know I dont mind paying the 300.00 I just was not sure if a dentist was better I dont know if he is a vet I am actually getting ready to call him and ask a few questions now that I know what to ask. I know the saying you get what you pay for and i believe that so Iam doing some more checking.

tealamutt 10-22-2012 10:02 AM

You are wise to be cautious in your vet selection too. Just because you have a medical degree and know about the drugs and such, does not mean you can do a proper job on teeth. Forgot to mention that part! I am a vet, but know my limitations and though I'm totally comfortable sedating and treating horses, I would never muck around with a mouth- I save that for someone with a TON of experience.

peppersgirl 10-22-2012 10:55 AM

I know I have said this before, but darn, I'm glad I live in the midwest.

Just had pepper floated 3 weeks ago... It was $125 with sedation, and my vet did a bit seat. When I lived in Nebraska, My vet was one of the top ten equine/racing vets in the nation, and it was about the same price.

$300 for a floating...jeeeezzzz

peppersgirl 10-22-2012 10:57 AM

also I cant agree that just because a vet has more than one drill, that automatically makes him better at his job... Neither of the last two vets I have had float pepper had more than one drill, and yes they had to change drill bits. The job was still done correctly:)

alichawhittaker 10-22-2012 11:03 AM

well i talked to him he is not a vet but i googled his name and he is listed under the American equine school of dentistry so i called there and they said positive things about him they have had no negative complaints.

toosexy4myspotz 10-22-2012 11:07 AM

our equine dentist which is also a DVM starts at $75 with sedation but that can go up quickly. the $75 is just routine care. my app has ramps that are gradually being taken care of because they are severe and he costs a lot more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 10-22-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alichawhittaker (Post 1727876)
well i talked to him he is not a vet but i googled his name and he is listed under the American equine school of dentistry so i called there and they said positive things about him they have had no negative complaints.

Good Luck! Remember no sedation without being a DVM. Some horses need sedation to do a proper job on their teeth.
Ask lots of questions about everything he does. My horses dentist always has a horse scull with him so he can explain everything, you can see it in the back right corner of his truck in my photo.
He also asks me to look to see all that is going on inside the mouth.