The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse as Ergots thingamambobers!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-ergots-thingamambobers-14119/)

ImperiousImpression 08-30-2008 02:48 PM

My horse as Ergots thingamambobers!?

Ok so I got really scared when I noticed these horny growths much like chestnuts on like the horses ankle ya know. Where you trim the hair. I did some research and its seems to be "Ergots" anyways. I'll probably have the BO trim them, but I have a question.

Can Ergots cause a horse to be lame?

I'm just overall glad to hear my horse isn't going to die of some unknown growth development :roll:

moomoo 08-30-2008 03:05 PM

:lol: no :wink: most horses have them, some geldings don't though :)

appylover31803 08-30-2008 03:47 PM

both my horses do (mare and gelding) and they're fine.

Appyt 08-30-2008 06:35 PM

I suppose it is possible for them to become so overgrown that they could interfere with gait. Rarely would that happen tho.

sempre_cantando 08-30-2008 08:24 PM

All three of our horses have them (1 mare, 2 geldings)! Its completely normal - just as normal as their chestnuts.

-xx-sally-xx- 08-31-2008 02:44 AM

ergots are a normal growth of a horses conformation (positioned on the fetlock in the feathers). All horses have them, but some horses' ergots are more prominant. They don't cause lameness or anything like that they're just a colouse type growth, the same as chestnuts. dont stress :D

CountryGirl43 09-02-2008 03:12 AM

I had the exact same feeling when I rescued m ypaint mare. Found those little things coming out the back of her legs and thought....eewwww WHAT is that?

None of my other horses ever had anything like that. then I found out they were Ergots, and I wet them down and peeled them off. First thing I though was....OMG she has horns growing out of her legs!!!