The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   My poor out of shape pony :( (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/my-poor-out-shape-pony-141191/)

Klassic Superstar 10-21-2012 10:17 PM

My poor out of shape pony :(

Intrested in what you guys think of Oliver, had three weeks off while I was away exploring Europe, he stayed out of trouble and had been a true gem ever since I got home. Now three rides back to work, tomorrow will be the 4th :)
Today we really worked on him sitting and getting back off the forehand and using his hind end as his engine! Got some amazing walk and trot work....I have a feeling I was working to hard but it was only he's third ride back and has been lazy all three rides... He still did a great job and came through as always.

So what do you guys think?
Any tips on getting him back into shape a bit faster? If that's possiable. I'm thinking of some trail work, hills and such, ground poles and trantsion work.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...c8896111f6.jpg

Klassic Superstar 10-22-2012 02:21 AM

Bump bump!

Prinella 10-22-2012 07:30 AM

What are you getting him fit for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 10-22-2012 11:02 AM

I'm not getting him, he's mine. He's my jumper and dressage horse. He's had a month from my vacation...

twiz454 10-22-2012 11:12 AM

She asked what you are getting him fit for, not if you are getting him.. Like what your goals are with him.

Klassic Superstar 10-22-2012 02:11 PM

Back into jumping and training level dressage work. Never mind.

Corporal 10-22-2012 02:18 PM

Lots of half-halting and transitions between gaits to encourage HQ muscles. Work him hard for a few days, then schedule some play days in between them to keep him fresh. Do you have an Equi-Spirit ball? You could let him play with that, too.
I like the hill work. I would also lunge him over poles and cavaletti. If you have a friend you could also trail ride and do a little bit of "racing", just an 1/8 of a mile, and just for fun, again, to keep him fresh.

Klassic Superstar 10-23-2012 06:03 PM

I am doing that now and feel like I'm working to hard, with my legs lol
With this picture what part/s of his body do you see me needing to focus on more then others and with that what exercises can I do to help build that up.
I have trails to do hill work, once a wee sound good? (depending on how wet it gets outside) I dont want to be sliding down hills!

For pole work, would working him on a large 20meter with a few ground poles help? If so how, many feet apart do I need to be placing them?

He's feeling stronger in the canter, trying to bet his stamina up to get that hind end stronger!

Sorry if I seemed off or pissy yesterday. Wast the best of days for me and I apologize for that!
I hope to get some video soon and get more help based on that!
Thanks!