The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Good Idea Or Bad Idea? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/good-idea-bad-idea-141201/)

countryryder 10-22-2012 12:40 AM

Good Idea Or Bad Idea?

So,this idea popped into my head a few days ago and seems to be intent on staying.I like the idea,simply because of what it involves,but I am not sure if it really is a good idea to follow through on..
The idea:"rescuing" a few weanlings from the horse auction (in other words,outbidding the kill buyer);bring them home and hang on to them for the winter,get them in good shape and health,get them used to being handled and teaching them some ground manners,then rehoming them to good homes in the spring or summer.
I would only get fillies and registered, and make sure to the best of my ability that they had no serious conformation issues and come from good bloodlines;I would have buddies then for my weanling filly,and with being papered and well built,it should be easier to rehome them when the time comes.
Working with the youngsters is my passion;I love it and I have experience with it. Hence why my heart is really liking this idea,lol.I have the feed and the facilities,since I am already set up for my own weanling. I will have the time over winter to work with them.
I guess my biggest concern would be the rehoming part,since I dont know what the horse industry will be like here in Alberta a half year or year from now.And the trusting myself to know which ones to bring home;apparently at the last auction there was over 100 weanlings that sold anywhere from $50- $500,with the KBs getting about 60% of them. :(
So,what do you all think? Worth pursuing,or just asking for trouble?

riccil0ve 10-22-2012 12:46 AM

I would say start small [one, maybe two fillies] and make sure you can afford the horses well past your expected sell date.

Just don't say you "rescued" them, you bought them at auction. =P
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 10-22-2012 12:50 AM

Well, most of the babies going through sales probably wont be papered,.or have the best bloodlines if they are.
That aside, if you're not worried about losing money, I bet the babies would be very grateful. It's a great idea if monetary concerns are not a factor. And you have a place where they can be quarantined.
But if you have the time, resources, money, and a patient husband... I say go for it!

Are you talking about the Westlock sale?

JustDressageIt 10-22-2012 01:00 AM

Selling yearlings is tough at the best of times - they aren't foal-cute anymore, and people become hyper aware of just how long they have to put money into that horse before they can start to ride or see any sort of return on their investment.
Personally, I'd wait to see what the market does over the next 6 months or so..
WSA is right, most weaners going through auctions aren't going to be papered or be able to be registered..

countryryder 10-22-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 1727519)
Well, most of the babies going through sales probably wont be papered,.or have the best bloodlines if they are.
That aside, if you're not worried about losing money, I bet the babies would be very grateful. It's a great idea if monetary concerns are not a factor. And you have a place where they can be quarantined.
But if you have the time, resources, money, and a patient husband... I say go for it!

Are you talking about the Westlock sale?

No,the Innisfail auction. I`ve been talking to a lady who attends alot of the horse sales there and she said there`s been some really nice AQHA and APHA weanlings going through there lately,plus different breeders are combining their production sales along with the auction`s normal horse sales. So I know there`s at least some decent babies passing through..

countryryder 10-22-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1727514)
I would say start small [one, maybe two fillies] and make sure you can afford the horses well past your expected sell date.

Just don't say you "rescued" them, you bought them at auction. =P
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha,yes,I know people can be sensitive about the use of that word. I look at it as being a rescue in a sense though,they`re being rescued from becoming dog food..

countryryder 10-22-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1727531)
Selling yearlings is tough at the best of times - they aren't foal-cute anymore, and people become hyper aware of just how long they have to put money into that horse before they can start to ride or see any sort of return on their investment.
Personally, I'd wait to see what the market does over the next 6 months or so..
WSA is right, most weaners going through auctions aren't going to be papered or be able to be registered..

That is my biggest concern,the rehoming part..

countryryder 10-22-2012 01:31 AM

These are two fillies that I know are going through the ring,both AQHA.I do not think they look too bad..

http://www.northernhorse.com/giberso...1_1_medium.jpg

http://www.northernhorse.com/giberso...ly2_medium.jpg

riccil0ve 10-22-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryryder (Post 1727547)
Haha,yes,I know people can be sensitive about the use of that word. I look at it as being a rescue in a sense though,they`re being rescued from becoming dog food..

That's it though. You bought it at an auction. It's not any different than any person buying any horse at auction. Most people will feel it's not a rescue, and people feel all sorts of entitled if they get it in their head that they "rescued" this horse. Just a pet peeve!

Like I said, start small and buy one. See how that goes, then try again. You may have better luck buying unstarted 2-3 year olds, get them started, and then sell a horse someone can ride now.
Posted via Mobile Device

countryryder 10-22-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1727567)
That's it though. You bought it at an auction. It's not any different than any person buying any horse at auction. Most people will feel it's not a rescue, and people feel all sorts of entitled if they get it in their head that they "rescued" this horse. Just a pet peeve!

Like I said, start small and buy one. See how that goes, then try again. You may have better luck buying unstarted 2-3 year olds, get them started, and then sell a horse someone can ride now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes,I understand where you are coming from,and believe me,I am not the type to go around bragging about the horse I "rescued",as some have been known to do..To me,this is just getting a horse out of a bad situation that would have a bad ending. Sometimes it`s hard to know where to differentiate though,such as the horse rescues that privately buy a horse that is in a bad place,or for that matter do the same thing I am thinking about,outbidding the KBs at the auctions. What is a true "rescue";it depends on who you ask,I think. Not that it matters though,as long as the horse ends up in a good home. :)