The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What are your opinions on double judged shows? Love it or hate it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-your-opinions-double-judged-shows-141219/)

COWCHICK77 10-22-2012 10:09 AM

What are your opinions on double judged shows? Love it or hate it?

50 Attachment(s)
As the title states, out of curiosity, what do you guys think of double judged shows?

Coffeejunkie 10-22-2012 01:23 PM

I am speaking from breed show side of fence:
I prefer to show to more judges. Most of my show cost is travel and trainer, the show fees are usually the cheapest part of my expense I incur. Only show 3 classes so it may be different if I did the all around. I like to have the opportunity to show to more judges without having to increase my travel costs to go to another show or 2. I do also see the need for the smaller single (or double in our case-APHA) judge shows. They offer a more intro level opportunity, usually in a more local venue to attendees. They also offer lower costs as far as entries and stalls, and a bit more low key atmosphere. These smaller shows are also usually the regional clubs support bone. It's very important to have variety for everyone in the pond to grow an organization on all levels.

COWCHICK77 10-22-2012 02:45 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I agree Coffeejunkie, it is nice to get the points with less money involved as far as fuel and such.

Have you had a huge placing difference in a class that makes you wonder if they were watching/judging the same class?

Cherie 10-22-2012 02:50 PM

Love double judged and double pointed shows. They offer less travel and show expenses (like stalls, bedding, etc) and fewer runs to get horses into anticipating and 'thinking' too much.

Only downside I know is that they are not good for 'practice' runs and 'seasoning' a green or young horse. If you are not a contender, I would stay away from them. If you are ready for prime time, they are a god-send.

HorseMom1025 10-22-2012 02:56 PM

What a timely thread! We just finished our last show of the season and it was double-judged (our first show like it). It was very interesting to me to see how different judges, looking at the same group of riders can have such differing opinions. It really brought home that judging is much more subjective than objective and made me really want to see each judges' score card. ;)

My trainer and her top teen student are headed to an APHA show this weekend with SIX judges. She's hoping that the girl will qualify for world. (And this girl is really, really good!)

I think it would be too intimidating for my daughter. She really is just starting out and still shows all around (although she focuses on English).
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 10-22-2012 03:02 PM

I love it, pretty much for the same reasons listed above! I loved having multiple judges, particularly in reining.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-22-2012 03:13 PM

Bring it! The more judges the merrier, the more points and qualifications I get. All for the price of 1 stall, 1 hotel and 1 trip. I got show at an 8 judge show once, man was that nice! Rare for a unanimous decision but wow! the points I racked up. LOVE THE MULTI-JUDGE and Simultaneous shows.

COWCHICK77 10-22-2012 05:34 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseMom1025 (Post 1728068)
What a timely thread! We just finished our last show of the season and it was double-judged (our first show like it). It was very interesting to me to see how different judges, looking at the same group of riders can have such differing opinions. It really brought home that judging is much more subjective than objective and made me really want to see each judges' score card. ;)

No kidding!
One of my classes last weekend I was placed first under judge A, then last under judge B...huh? I was going to go look at my scorecards after my last class but got in a big hurry to pack up and forgot to look. I have never had that big of difference in placing before.

(I didn't think I would hear any negatives for double points for less money:lol:)

HorseMom1025 10-22-2012 05:40 PM

Do you know if you're allowed to request the cards? I didn't think we were (and never asked our coach!). We show at a local horse club open show that is also AQHA...
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 10-22-2012 06:17 PM

I showed AQHA for awhile and I got cards...I don't know if that's changed though?