The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Kentucky Mountain Filly - Registration Question (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/kentucky-mountain-filly-registration-question-141231/)

BadWolf 10-22-2012 01:07 PM

Kentucky Mountain Filly - Registration Question

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, so if this question belongs under another heading, please let me know.

We got a KY Mountain filly (6 mo old) this weekend and I'm confused about how I can register her...
Her sire is registered with the Spotted Mountain Horse Association, and I have his pedigree back 5 generations (including him).
Her dam is grade.
The breeder gave us her papers to send in to the Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse Association.
Based on what I've read, I *think* she would be considered appendix.
Does that sound right?

She's also supposed to be eligible for the KY Breeders Incentive, but I'm not sure about that either because their website doesn't list KY Mountain as one of the participating breeds. It shows Rocky Mountain...
If anyone knows about that, I'd appreciate any help there too.

MissKriss 10-22-2012 01:13 PM

I am of no help as I have never registered a horse before myself, however, I would like to say that pictures of your filly are very much welcome here! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Bellasmom 10-22-2012 01:20 PM

Is she gaited? If so, she can be registered appendix, but it is not "permanent" registration until she is certified as gaited. If she's not gaited, she's basically a grade horse. Alot of KMSH are also registered as RMH, but as she is out of a grade mare, she would not be eligible for registration in that registry. Pics please!

BadWolf 10-22-2012 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe the picture worked....

BadWolf 10-22-2012 01:26 PM

It did work! Yay!

I've been watching her to see if she's gaited, but she mostly trots everywhere. It's a nice trot though, lots of movement and she carries her tail high. I think she's going to be kind of a sassy one!

Bellasmom 10-22-2012 02:58 PM

She's cute, congratulations. If she does not gait, she is essentially a grade horse, which will impact her resale value. Do be aware that many, if not most gaited horses will trot orpacks, or both, at liberty, in addition to "gaiting". Do you know what her mom's breeding is?

Corporal 10-22-2012 03:06 PM

I understand that the RMH are closing registration of horses with grade parents. Her value would be greater if she gaits, even if she isn't registered. Are you sure that she doesn't gait? I've had several 1/2-TWH'ers and they ALL did a running walk under saddle. I own 2 KMH's and they amble under saddle but will often trot and pace in the pasture. In fact, my KMSHA mare and my KMH gelding went full out fast amble a few years back on a trail ride where the trail merged with a public dirt road (straight and flat). DH and I kept wondering if they would ever slow down. Pretty girl. =D

BadWolf 10-22-2012 04:49 PM

Thanks! I think she's really going to shine when her baby coat/winter coat sheds out. The picture I posted makes her look almost brown, but she's all black, not a white hair anywhere.
She hasn't even been here for 2 full days yet, so I'll keep watching her to see if she's gaited or not. She's been bouncing all over the place after the big ride home, so I'm sure she'll show me soon enough.

Her sire is supposed to have really good lines, but I don't know much about that kind of thing - He has "Tiajuana Taxi" as his grand-sire, plus "Choco" and "Kilburn's Chocolate Sundown" farther back. Those were the only names I recognized.

As far as her dam goes, we really don't know. She has more of a quarter horse build (ie- big back end), but that's about it.

I was really only curious about registration just for the fun of it. The paper I have says it'll be $70 or $100 to register her, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it, not knowing anything about her mother.

I got her for pleasure riding, and maybe a few local shows/parades, county fair, that sort of thing. And I chose her specifically for her personality over anything else. I don't want to breed her or anything, so maybe registration isn't really necessary.

The horse-people I know "in real life" are either highly competitive barrel racers, or they work in horse rescue/adoption, so I don't think I have a good frame of reference for what a horse is worth, besides what I just paid. My horse knowledge is much more in the field than it is in the paperwork, if that makes sense.

Could the difference in her value be significant between un-registered/non-gaited to registered/gaited?

Bellasmom 10-22-2012 05:01 PM

Corporal, At this point, to be registered as a RMH, both parents must be registered and certified RMH.

Bellasmom 10-22-2012 05:11 PM

The $70 is for temporary appendix registration, then you have to get her "certified" by the time she's four, or her temporary registration expires. If she doesn't gait, I wouldn't bother. If mom's gaited (registered or not) there is a very high probability that the filly will gait. If mom is not gaited, it's a coin toss.Everything else being equal, a registered, gaited horse will definitely sell for more than a grade, non-gaited horse.