The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   weaning time need opinions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/weaning-time-need-opinions-141272/)

Spotted 10-22-2012 06:21 PM

weaning time need opinions

So it's time to wean my filly, I was thinking of putting her in her own pen, beside mom.( Rail fencing) for the first week and then one pen over for the rest of the weaning. She can still see and touch mom for the first week then after that she can only see mom. Is this a bad Idea ?
looking for opinions of people with expierience.
Thanks

Spotted 10-22-2012 09:01 PM

Anybody?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-22-2012 09:06 PM

Can you separate them totally so they can't see or hear each other? I have much better success when I do that. If they are across the fence from each other I've had a mare just drop hundreds of pounds because she ran the fence trying to get to the foal. If you can separate them, I'd do it between Oct 23 and Nov 1, those are you best days for weaning according to moon sign. I also do that, it seems to actually make a difference.

Spotted 10-22-2012 09:28 PM

No, not unless one leaves the property entirely.
right now they can both enter and leave the corral and so far baby spends alot of time in there by herself.
I think she could still suck, if I locked her in, but she wouldn't be able to follow mom everywhere. thats why I thought one week and then mover her farther away. And have 2 fences inbetween. I could possibly make a pen across the yard behind the house, but they could still hear each other.
how long does the screaming last :(

caseymyhorserocks 10-22-2012 09:28 PM

First, I have never weaned a horse, everything following is from me discussing it with professionals and some general research and my thoughts following it. I think the way you are describing for weaning is one of the best, studies have shown foals that spend the first week of weaning next to their mom (separated by fence) have considerably less stress. Make sure your weanling cant nurse, over or through the fence, if he can, place hot wires on top/in between the rails or install no climb fence in between the rails. Once they seem more independent from each other they can be separated.

Faceman 10-22-2012 09:35 PM

Bad idea. A foal can nurse through a rail fence just as a stallion and mare can breed. You might pick up some cattle panels (they are cheap), or something similar, and fasten them on the mare's side.

Personally,I would put them in the pens you have that are totally separate. Seeing and smelling momma is as good as touching. If you can, put another (sociable) horse in with the foal.

Don't put a time limit on it - keep them separate until the mare dries up, or you may have to start all over...

Spotted 10-22-2012 09:36 PM

Ok thats a start. I can put up extra boards, so she can't stick her head through. Do you know if this has worked for someone before?

Spotted 10-22-2012 09:40 PM

Faceman- I can do that too, The seconed pen is made of panels, would a horse inbetween and either side work?

waresbear 10-22-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1728648)
Ok thats a start. I can put up extra boards, so she can't stick her head through. Do you know if this has worked for someone before?

Yep, I have done that after I caught my colt sticking his head through the fencing & nursing. We put up panels on the lower slats. Baby was in with his uncle & mom was happy to see her kid but not have to take care of him. Was a very easy weaning but I think it was more to do with his uncle babysitting him. By the way, Uncle always had a very clean sheath!

Cowgirl140ty 10-22-2012 10:06 PM

I agree with dreamcatcher. We have had way less issues doing it this way, cold turkey, if you will. But if you have no way to do that. I would say seperate as far as possible. And put a mellow babysitter type horse with the foal.
Posted via Mobile Device