The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Why can't a good horse just be a GOOD HORSE? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-cant-good-horse-just-good-141279/)

DoubleS 10-22-2012 07:26 PM

Why can't a good horse just be a GOOD HORSE?

I was having a conversation with a horsey actuaintence of mine at a 4H thing. This girl is about 18ish and she rides big time western pleasure and english pleasure.
So we were talking and she asked me about my horse, and I told her about him; that he was a little POA gelding and we did pleasure and rode a little english, showed a little, etc.
Then she asked me about his bloodlines. I hesitantly told her his sire and dam, and she looked right at me and said "Never heard of them, he must not be anything extraordinary"...
My jaw went to the floor. :shock:...
I told her that he was a really great horse, and that he was pretty decent at pleasure, good enough for my standards.
"But he's small" (she was like giggling when she said that)
It took all I had not to mention that I beat her in horsemanship and showmanship this year at the 4H horse show, most likely because of her 'I'm too good for this' attitude...
SO I laughed little in shock and then we got on with the activity we were supposed to be doing.
I could have said so many things, but I just chose to shrug it off. I was so mad. You can put down my riding all you want, but when you put down my horse and say he's nothing great, then I'm going to be mad. Sure his bloodlines aren't distinct, but he's got great conformation and the heart to work for me, and that's all I want in a horse.
Why can't a good horse just be a GOOD HORSE?! Why do people think that bloodlines make a horse great!!
Anyone else feel my pain?!
Sorry for the rant.

WSArabians 10-22-2012 07:48 PM

Well, being a breeder of them crazy, hot headed, psycho Arabians.... I GET it. LOL I hear it ALL the time. People with that sort of attitude I just have no time for.
I don't, however, give a flying leap what anyone says about my horses. If someone doesn't like them, oh well. Good thing they're mine and not yours.
They're good enough for me and I love them, and that's all that matters.

Prinella 10-22-2012 07:49 PM

Yup been there. When I was younger prin and I got some looks. Not regd 14 something hand QH in a jumping lesson with fancy 17hh WBs.

The looks stopped when she out jumped them!

I love my small red pony goes fast around the corners!
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 10-22-2012 07:57 PM

I totally get it! I have a draft cross in an area that is dominated by quarter horses. He was a PMU from Canada. He's big, he's clumsy, he's slow on trail rides (unless we're on our way home or we're riding out in the flats), and his head is too big for his body. But, goshdarnit, he is the BEST horse I have ever dealt with! He's smart, he's willing, he's quiet, he's sure-footed, he's gentle, he was broke in one ride...he's absolutely as perfect as a three-year-old can be.

I've had new people at the barn start to fall in love with him (just by looking at him) and then when I say he's a Percheron/paint cross they say "Oh" all condescending and become disinterested. Never mind that he makes their ten-year-old "dead broke" quarter horse look like a hot-headed idiot. Never mind that he'll wade through bushes past his belly where most horses are saying "Oh, he** no!" Never mind that I can ride him on the road with big dump trucks coming at us revving their engines (on his SIXTH RIDE) while the "dead broke" dude string horses are absolutely freaking out.

He's a draft cross. He can't be worth a nickle because he's not purebred and not registered.

whiskeynoo 10-22-2012 08:00 PM

I haven't got a scooby-doo when it comes to blood lines so when people try brag to about me their horse is this and their horse is that it falls on deaf ears and they soon stop tryna brag and move on to someone else hah, i have tried to learn but it doesn't interest me as I've never competed or shown or any of that sort. I'm happy with my mutts, they do the job i require so i don't need anything fancy.
In fact Amber is the first ever horse we've owned that's actually registered.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-22-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleS (Post 1728437)
I was having a conversation with a horsey actuaintence of mine at a 4H thing. This girl is about 18ish and she rides big time western pleasure and english pleasure.
So we were talking and she asked me about my horse, and I told her about him; that he was a little POA gelding and we did pleasure and rode a little english, showed a little, etc.
Then she asked me about his bloodlines. I hesitantly told her his sire and dam, and she looked right at me and said "Never heard of them, he must not be anything extraordinary"...
My jaw went to the floor. :shock:...
I told her that he was a really great horse, and that he was pretty decent at pleasure, good enough for my standards.
"But he's small" (she was like giggling when she said that)
It took all I had not to mention that I beat her in horsemanship and showmanship this year at the 4H horse show, most likely because of her 'I'm too good for this' attitude...
SO I laughed little in shock and then we got on with the activity we were supposed to be doing.
I could have said so many things, but I just chose to shrug it off. I was so mad. You can put down my riding all you want, but when you put down my horse and say he's nothing great, then I'm going to be mad. Sure his bloodlines aren't distinct, but he's got great conformation and the heart to work for me, and that's all I want in a horse.
Why can't a good horse just be a GOOD HORSE?! Why do people think that bloodlines make a horse great!!
Anyone else feel my pain?!
Sorry for the rant.

I certainly would vote for being able to watch her parents beat some manners into her. I don't care what you think of someone's horse you NEVER say anything bad about it. There is ALWAYS something you can compliment. She's just a spoilt brat and not worth the trouble you'd get into for giving her a swift kick in the behind, which she richly deserves though!

themacpack 10-22-2012 08:08 PM

I have little use for people like that *shrugs* I tend not to waste too much of my time on people I have no use for - life is too short to do otherwise.

Muppetgirl 10-22-2012 08:12 PM

You asked 'why can't a good horse just be GOOD?'.........haha because that would be FAAAAAAR too easy! :lol:

jamesqf 10-22-2012 08:22 PM

'Cause these are the same sorts of people that care about who your parents & grandparents were (and maybe things like what country they came from).

Quote:

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother’s side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.
R.A. Heinlein

natisha 10-22-2012 08:26 PM

It must be a 4-H thing to be a brat. I see kids bossing around their parents, being mean to their horses & others & being totally rude to everyone.
There are a few good kids who really appreciate their horses & to me those are the ones that stand out in a good way.
Keep loving your horse & ignore the brats while being proud that you are not like them.