The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Ideas for on ground or in saddle!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ideas-ground-saddle-14128/)

HorsesAreForever 08-30-2008 07:24 PM

Ideas for on ground or in saddle!!

Okay ive been riding chance almost everyday for at least 2 weeks with at least a day off every so often! Yesterday we went on a light trail ride around the hay feild.

Today I got on her and when i asked for her to move she turned her head to me and tried to bite my foot then kept trying to go to the door way to her way out to the barn area.

She gave me a nice slow easy trot around but had a fight near the door.

um her canter was HORRIBLE! usually its quite controlable but she just zoomed around the ring and stopped at the door!

Usually on our rides its walk trot canter and jumping a ton of fun perfect attidude but not today

so im thinking of giving her tommorrow and the day after a no riding day just being with me on ground.

So i need some ideas of what to do on ground to keep her busy for an hour or 2 not so much work but just something fun i guess Know what i mean??

and if i do ride her not tomorrow but the day after i need something to make it more fun and interesting and make her want to do more i guess

I hate to think she hates me riding her or getting on her back.

help please!!

thanks in advance!!

SonnyWimps 08-30-2008 08:45 PM

what's her favorite things to do?

She might be associating you with work. Sonny thought me in that way so he'd run away from me in the pasture and wouldn't stand still for me to mount him.

I'd say spend some quality time with her just doing stuff that she likes. If she likes to be groomed, go and give her an all out grooming, with some massages, and stuff like that. If she likes to eat, let her graze on some grass with you sitting near by.

For groundwork stuff....mix it up. Possibly let her jump some weird objects...like a barrel or random things. See if she'll stand on stuff (that is strong enough to hold her that is). Make things up....be creative. If you have a baby pool fill it up with water (the plastic small baby pools) and see if she'll walk through it.

For in saddle work, do alot of patterns, keep things different and let her choose her own speed for the first couple times. I used to do moon shaped patterns, star shaped patterns, heart shapped patterns....anything that came into my mind we did. Also don't over work her, don't push her to the limits.

I'd say give her two - three days off of no work at all. Let her relax and just hang out with some of her horsey friends...or take her in groom her, give her a treat then put her back out. Even just sitting in the pasture/stall with her will let her realize that you being there isn't just all work.

HorsesAreForever 08-30-2008 08:57 PM

i dont really want to leave her out because she usually comes to the gate when she sees me and she sometimes just stands there soo boreddd lol

so I think ill do what u said like sit and let her graze or groom her a ton so some kinda of stretches, hmm what kinda of things could hold her weight?? I dont want to lunge her over anything cause thats basicly work..

shes loves to play with brushes any ideas with that lol

i want to just do stuff out of saddle for at least 2 days just hang out with her.

lol she LOVESSS treats maybe i can play with her and make her so some funny things with treats?? or is that a bad idea?

maybe not tomorrow but the next day ill lunge her over some random thing lol and see if she will jump them.

i need a bigg list cause i think if she enjoys it every other day or so we can just do that.

hmm maybe in the round pen i can do some sensatising. hmmm

need ideassss lol

sandy2u1 08-30-2008 10:12 PM

I havent had my horse very long and the first thing i did with him is try him under the saddle. He was a big pain to catch after that. So I posted here and got some great advice. What i do with mine is...when i ride or work him...always end things with a positive note, like hand grazing, a treat, grooming....or all of the above. At least every other day..or sometimes part of a day i get him out and hand graze him, wash him with a hose (witch he loves), groom him...and do lots and lots of petting. Yesterday I spent 4 hours with him never once getting in the saddle or even saddling him. It has worked wonders for me. He is now gladly haltered, he will come to me when i call him and is very pleasant to ride.

HorsesAreForever 08-30-2008 10:55 PM

hmm well chance isnt the bigest fan of water soo idk about that and ya I do want my horse to WANT to be with me and not just think im there for her to work.

iridehorses 08-30-2008 10:59 PM

Just a thought in a different direction - and I may be off base - but could she have come into heat?

I've had some mares that were great horses except when they were in heat. During those times they hated to be saddled and ridden.

HorsesAreForever 08-30-2008 11:01 PM

thats what i was wondering before a few people mentioned that could be it but I cant really tell with her.. its been going on for at least a few days idk..

any way to tell if a horse is in heat lol with chance you really cant figure it out.

SonnyWimps 08-30-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever
i dont really want to leave her out because she usually comes to the gate when she sees me and she sometimes just stands there soo boreddd lol

I'm confused...what do you mean?

Quote:

so I think ill do what u said like sit and let her graze or groom her a ton so some kinda of stretches, hmm what kinda of things could hold her weight?? I dont want to lunge her over anything cause thats basicly work..
I use anything from tires (normally I fill up the hole with sand or dirt), even just wooden boards on the ground would work. Just something that's she doesn't necessarily stand on. I know Sonny seems to enjoy standing on/in random objects.
I "lunge" Sonny (I say lunge, but that's not really what it is...I'm simply doing the Circle Game from Parelli where a log is that he has to jump....it keeps their mind active.) If Chance likes to jump she probably wouldn't consider it as work.

Quote:

shes loves to play with brushes any ideas with that lol
Hmmm....what about getting two buckets...putting on at one end of the arena (or pasture which ever) and one at the other. Fill one up with brushes, and let her pick them up and see if she will bring them across the arena and drop it in the other bucket. If she does, give her a treat and let her do it again. It's a cute trick and if she likes playing with brushes she might like it also.

Quote:

i want to just do stuff out of saddle for at least 2 days just hang out with her.
Will she chase you if you run from her in the arena or pasture? If yes, that possibly do some "tag" (but of course you aren't going to be chasing her). Put some treats in your pocket and let her know you have them. Start running, turning sharp corners and just playing with her and after a while, stop, and give her a treat as a reward.

Quote:

lol she LOVESSS treats maybe i can play with her and make her so some funny things with treats?? or is that a bad idea?
I don't think it's a good idea....I used treats alot when Sonny thought of me as work and it solved the problem. He still doesn't meet me at the gate, but he's not running away from me at all...and usually will walk 5-10 steps to get to me (well to get to the treat lol).
You could even hide treats randomly in the pasture and see if she can find them. I did that for Sonny because I needed to get rid of the treats (because I wanted to buy a different type lol)

Quote:

i need a bigg list cause i think if she enjoys it every other day or so we can just do that.
Sonny looves to do groundwork in the pasture with the other horses...so I try to go in there to do ground work every other day or every other other day.
He also liked me to just sit in the pasture with him. He'd come over to me and graze close to me and occasionally come over and nudge me or chase away the Donkey that I was petting :lol: (he gets jealous)

Quote:

hmm maybe in the round pen i can do some sensatising. hmmm
Have you tried doing some of the Parelli games with her? I do those with Sonny after each ride as a way to cool him down and to slowly bring him down to resting so he doesn't get stiff (which he does now for some reason).
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-7-Games-of-Parelli.

iridehorses 08-30-2008 11:09 PM

Some mares are easy to tell; they will be wet or will "wink" when they are in heat. Others, not so easy. What I've done is to track their episodes of misbehaving and actually anticipated their cycles.

(That's why I prefer geldings - lol)

Arrow 08-30-2008 11:12 PM

Every horse has the occasional bad day, just like people. Don't worry unless it becomes a pattern. What sorts of days off do you give her--what about a couple of days off in a row--real days off, don't got out and see her at all, let her just be a horse. I wouldn't ever do an hour of groundwork in one day--I think a horse would find it boring.

I'd make her days of no riding real days off--let her alone one day a week. Other no riding days--just groom and handgraze.