The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Groundwork in the saddle(?) (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/groundwork-saddle-141284/)

MAG1723 10-22-2012 08:07 PM

Groundwork in the saddle(?)

okay so after seeing the double Dan horsemanship guys perform I really want to teach my horse some stuff. Well to start I have 2 horses, and i want to be able to ride one of my horses and control the other horse from the saddle. (so I would be on my mare leading my gelding) but my problem is, how do I get him to follow me around Without the lead rope?

Sorry If that doesnt make any sense:oops:

Thanks so much!

Thunderspark 10-22-2012 10:25 PM

I would think you would have to do ground work with the one that you will be leading while riding the other one, get that one connected up with you first and then maybe try with a lead and then progress to the no lead.....I'm sure others would have a better idea than I do though.....

lilruffian 10-23-2012 02:02 PM

It takes alot of time, consistancy and ground work. You have to make the horse WANT to be with you and not feel like he has to, which is what a halter often does.
Spend alot of time with him. Do alot of back-up and come to me exercises (the yo-yo game to anyone familiar with parelli)
Join-up techniques might even help.
Guys who put on demonstrations like the one you described take years getting their horses to that level.

MAG1723 10-24-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1729556)
It takes alot of time, consistancy and ground work. You have to make the horse WANT to be with you and not feel like he has to, which is what a halter often does.
Spend alot of time with him. Do alot of back-up and come to me exercises (the yo-yo game to anyone familiar with parelli)
Join-up techniques might even help.
Guys who put on demonstrations like the one you described take years getting their horses to that level.

okay thanks so much! I just thought I would try:lol: because I love to try new things. But I will keep working on it.

SRose 01-12-2013 12:12 AM

Doing that kind of work while on the back of your other horse takes a bit of doing. The horse that you would be riding also needs to be really confident under you. You can't train a green horse on a green horse, they'll end up feeding off of each others anxiety and then you have two horses you need to control. Get your basic groundwork (on the ground) skills developed, it's a cool technique (on horseback) but basics are key especially if you're using a flag or rope. You need to get handy on the ground before in the saddle will be more manageable.

Peppy Barrel Racing 01-12-2013 12:53 AM

Agreed lots of ground and trust must be established. Agreed with the others to do this you need a solid well broke horse which can give confidence to the green horse. Also need a well established role as a leader. I'd start with good respect work and join up exercises I'll post a video of me working with the colts and asking them to join up and follow at liberty. I use my body to draw them in I don't look at them in the eyes when I do look it's indirectly good places to focus your eyes are the neck,chest, or legs. I point my shoulder at their face/nose I reach my arm outward but lowered with a neutral hand. I did a little work before this to make my hand a bit or a target of interest it helps draw their attention when I want it. When I have their attention I will walk a few steps usually somewhat toward them or past them sometimes you have to ask a few times. Also I send them away and redraw their attention when they turn their back and rear to me I expect them to face me. Also Jet is usually more interested in me than Jackpot so I can often use Jet's body(the bay) to influence the movement I want in Jackpot (Dunskin) when I don't have his full attention I image the people that control on those horses at liberty must do something similar. When they come to me I reward with lots of praise you can build more and more on this as you get better. My adult horses follow me around everywhere now with much reasking even in crowded places. Just recently I've started working on doing what you want to accomplish its had its trials and errors but I'm starting to get ahold of it. Just the other day I took my horses out to the arena my friends had their 3 year old daughter with them I put her on Pepper while I rode Joy she just held on to the saddle horn and Pepper just followed me and Joy as we rode around the arena he could of easily wandered off if he wanted to but he stayed even right with me even when we trotted a little. So keep at it you can get there it just takes a lot of time and practice :D.

Click links for videos let me know if I need to explain the body language any better I will certainly try. I hope they help you.

PS: this is also great for catching your horses even when they don't want to be caught.

Join up and follow Jet and Jackpot

F0013A60-0C86-46B8-845D-17DDC9F8F808-2215-0000027B5C738A5A.mp4 video by catnoles | Photobucket

Playing with them at liberty to get them to walk over obstacle together

D09A38D9-EBA5-42D2-9A59-2E5A97507D61-5280-000003B7E499E3C8-1.mp4 video by catnoles | Photobucket

clairegillies 01-31-2013 04:55 AM

I would try to follow a programme like Parelli or Quantum Savvy and get each horse really good individually first. then start working two together.
it might take a lot of time but it'll be worth it

Claire

AnrewPL 01-31-2013 08:53 AM

One of the things I used to like doing with my horses was to run milker calves in in the evenings. On the last cattle station I worked on before moving back to Canberra it was my job to do all the milking, which also meant running in the milkers to lock up the calves for the night. I used to like getting on one horse and take an other out with a 20 odd foot lead rope on a rope halter and once I found the cows and calves I'd use the horse I was leading to get the cows and calves going. So Id sit on one and send the other around the cows and get it tailing them. Milkers were good for this because the they are usually so quiet and know the score they pretty much walk to the milker yard themselves, usually; and by that time the horses were going on 6 or 7 years old, were going pretty good so they weren’t much of a problem. The whole basis of what I was doing was the Parelli lateral lunging stuff. Its good fun give it a go.