The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   adding supplements to forage only diet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/adding-supplements-forage-only-diet-141321/)

toosexy4myspotz 10-22-2012 11:47 PM

adding supplements to forage only diet

im a little confused when it comes to a couple of our horses. a few of our horses i am just adding a multi vita/mineral supplement, ground flax, and source micronutrients. but two of our guys im afraid of overloading. so here goes:

rain- 7yo twh currently under going corrective treatment in her front feet. at this time cannot be worked. hard keeper. cannot tolerate sugars and high starches. what she needs:

-rice bran, beet pulp, alf/timothy cubes

my questions
-joint supplement but will this throw too much with a multi vita/mineral? according to what im ready they do not have related ingredients. also she will get the ground flax and source. or should i go for a multi vita/min supplement combine with a joint supplement for her?

copper- 23yo Welsh mix pretty bad arthritis currently on for a flex joint and its a million dollar difference. he needs:

-beet pulp, rice bran, alfalfa cube

questions
-should i add a probiotic or change to a senior supplement with the multi vita/min, probiotics, and joint combined? we had a scare with him last winter
one vet said colic the other said ulcers. i believe it was ulcers because alfalfa hay seemed to relieve him of all his symptoms and he was still pooping. he is ridden very little if ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 10-22-2012 11:48 PM

also copper has fairly bad teeth and doesn't chew grains well

the joint supplement with rain will probably be something we continue for the rest her life due to the extent of her problems. when we bought her a year ago she was extremely, and i mean very bad, toed out and lame. we were told by multiple vets not to correct but one visit from our farrier and we decided correcting would be her only chance at living a semi normal life without being put down. she is now only slightly toed out no coffin bone rotation and hasn't been lame in nine months. both vets and farrier say give her one more shoeing and she can be put to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 10-23-2012 12:01 AM

you need to check the amount of sugar in beet pulp, it may be a little higher than you want. there are low sugar feeds that you can buy. Purina , Nutrena and other names make these feeds.

stevenson 10-23-2012 12:07 AM

if you thought the sr horse has colic problems, i would plain metamucil or psyllium to that mix, you dose for one week only per month or every couple months, you could try some oil, various opinions on oil type, I use corn , you can use canola, or olive oil for fat content. and dont overdo the oil a just a splash or so. i have used a product called FatCat , worked well for weight, cannot find it in my area. I would google feeding tips for sugar resistricted equine diets. try some VEt college sites.

toosexy4myspotz 10-23-2012 12:29 AM

we tried rain on multiple grains per vets opinions and she bloats severely. the only thing the could figure was by being fed grain. ever the l/s feeds she does it on. beet pulp without molasses at 3 lbs a day does not affect her. its something about fortified feeds that don't agree with her. we had her palpated after we bought her because she was several bloated.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 10-23-2012 08:07 AM

I have four horses and, without writing a book, am in the same predicament as you.

The harder I try to apply the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid), the less successful I am:-(

At the moment everyone is eating different until I use up what I can't buy anymore and also what I tried on two horses and boy, it's not working.

My next "trick" is to try McCauley's 10% because it is soy-free and does not have grain in it. I have to drive 38 miles to buy it but that's close compared to what I was driving.

If you have a McCauley dealer within your driving distance, this might be something to try and the price is good. McCauley'sŪ M10 Balancer

Regarding arthritis meds, I only buy products that are pure. That way I don't worry whether or not I am over-doing or interferring with somethign else.

I buy pure Chondroitin/MSM for two horses and pure Hylarin/Boswelia for the 25 yr old with EMS, hind gut ulcers and lipomas in the GI tract.

The 25 yr old is such an internal train wreck that he only eats rice bran, Omega-3 Horseshine, chastetree and Tuttles Liquid 747 vit/min supplement. He's now a hard keeper and I have to feed the rice bran three times/day because he can't eat 3-1/2 pounds at two feedings without colicking.

Just some off-center alternatives for you to mull over:-)

verona1016 10-23-2012 02:21 PM

In general, I think you're OK adding in supplements that are of different 'categories' and are fed in small amounts.

A little more caution needs to be used, however, for the supplements that target one or two specific nutrients- such as selenium/vit E supplements, 'blood builders' like Red Cell, or some calming supplements. Those types of supplements are best used with a carefully balanced diet (using some type of quantitative analysis- FeedXL.com is a great resource for this, but you can do it yourself if you have the time and inclination to do the research)

That being said, none of the supplements you've mentioned fall into that category, and they should work fine with each other without overloading them nutritionally.

And just to muddy the waters a little more- Depending on how much each supplement costs, it might be more economical (and easier to prepare daily feed) to go with a multi-purpose supplement. Platinum Performance (or SmartPak's version called Daily Omegas Plus) is a flax based supplement that also includes joint and digestive health, as well as micronutrients. I don't think it could replace a vit/min supplement, but I think it could probably replace all the other supplements.

toosexy4myspotz 10-23-2012 11:54 PM

my main thing is i really don't want to switch coppers joint supplement because he used to only be able to barely walk around the pasture now he runs and plays with the other horses. his joint supplement is only glucosamine chondrotin and msn no additional vitamins added. so i didn't think it would bother him to have a multi vit added to his daily ration.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 10-24-2012 11:16 AM

Sounds like your original plan is good to go then :-)