The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   To go or not to go.... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/go-not-go-141369/)

QHriderKE 10-23-2012 02:55 PM

To go or not to go....

I have the opportunity to trailer with a friend to some jackpots this winter.

My only issue: I havent practiced barrels with any of my horses in over 10 weeks (knee surgery), and it just snowed a TON. Should I go anyway just for the experience?

beau159 10-23-2012 03:46 PM

I myself don't go a lot in the winter because I can't keep a horse legged up in the winter. I don't have an indoor arena to ride in, and it's dark when I get off of work. Plus the snow makes it tricky to have a safe ride and the thick winter coat (I don't blanket or clip) make it loooong to cool down.

But if I boarded somewhere with an indoor arena, and kept the horse legged up, absolutely!

It never hurts to get more experience hauling, especially if barrels is a new concept to the horse. However, if they are not in the greatest physical condition, don't expect to push them hard physically, at the race (of course).

If nothing else, do exhibitions and there's some easy practice!

QHriderKE 10-23-2012 05:31 PM

It's a smaller pattern, so my friend is taking it slow for now, she claims that hardly had time to think, so if I go and let my horses breeze through however fast they want, I dont think I'd feel stupid. At least I'd be riding a bit this winter...

SorrelHorse 10-23-2012 05:39 PM

I think it's a good idea. You should go play.

QHriderKE 10-23-2012 06:17 PM

I dont think it would hurt... I'm pretty sure there will be people there that will look dumber than me.

DrumRunner 10-23-2012 10:17 PM

Dooo it..

QHriderKE 10-24-2012 01:07 AM

Video's might happen. It depends on how bad I do.
Peanut is horribly out of shape and Squiggy is in dire need of trotting/loping the pattern a few times, which can be done because you get 2 or 3 runs I think.

JustaSkippenJess 10-29-2012 05:57 PM

there is nothing wrong with hauling with your friend and at least getting your horse's out and about. If your horse's aren't legged up I for sure would run them at all. But being around the chaotic and craziness of barrel races and NOT running is really quite good for a horse's mind. I would haul and do some exhibition or timed runs just trotting and that way you can still do some training work and it will be really good for them to be hauled and not ran.

QHriderKE 10-30-2012 04:48 PM

Well, it's not that they aren't in alright condition, it's just they havent had any barrel racing work. I've done several roundups this fall with each of them, so it's not like they havent been rode at all.

QHriderKE 11-03-2012 10:20 PM

So, I went, and had fun. Took Peanut and Squiggy...

I didn't realize Peanut was going to shut down as much as she did, I should have brought a whip of some sort to get her past that barrel....my spurs just weren't doing it....

Squiggy was awesome, it was her first time in an indoor arena! And first time on a pattern in 4 months.

Mom missed my second run with Squiggy, I loped her whole pattern and let her go at the end. It FELT awesome, not sure if it was or not XD