The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Pay to have your tack cleaned? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/pay-have-your-tack-cleaned-141379/)

applebottomamanda 10-23-2012 04:56 PM

Pay to have your tack cleaned?

Would any of you use a service to have your tack cleaned?

I go to the yard everyday, and was going to ask around if they would be interested in me setting up a tack cleaning service, I really enjoy doing it and I take really good care and use only the best products.

Just not sure if anybody would be interested so thought I would ask on here first? also what do you think would be a good price to charge

I thought if they dropped what they wanted cleaning with me, and I cleaned and polished and had it ready the very next day for collection at the yard?

What do you think?

Saddlebag 10-23-2012 05:29 PM

I've been getting paid to do it for years. I've learned a few tricks to speed up the process and have become adept at concealing cantle scrapes. You need to allow 90 minutes to do a thorough job of an english saddle and bridle. The bridle is the slow part because of all the buckes, taking it apart then putting it back together again. Don't sell yourself short by setting too low a price. In Canadian funds I charge $35 for an english saddle only and $50 for western which takes longer and uses more of my supplies. But when I'm done they look good and all my customers have been pleased.

princecharming 10-23-2012 05:55 PM

i have never set up a buisness, but i trade tack cleaning for hunting this ladies really nice hunt horse(mine is a bit crazy to enjoy hunting) and sometimes other people pay to me clean their tack

Klassic Superstar 10-23-2012 05:55 PM

As a groom for the last two or so years I get paid to clean all the tack, after every ride! My boss supplies all the cleaning supplies, many different products for different tack! During show season I swear that's all we do! Lug tack around and sit down and clean for hours! I find it very meditating and relaxing! If you do start up doing it at your stable I suggest getting bit polish for helping the bits have. Extra shine to them, you can use it on stirrup irons and the metal on halters as well!
Good luck!